First Ride since Hip surgery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well done.

screenman

Legendary Member
5 weeks after hip replacement surgery, thought I would see how I got on back on the bike. Took it easy obviously not wanting to over do it. First ride for ages. Well kept going ,10.7 miles and 43 mins later. No pain at all . Well happy. No excuses now though !
Amazing, many people could not do that let alone after surgery.

OP
OP
C

col1888

Thanks everyone. I'm only 43 , so my recovery was expected to be a bit quicker than those 20 or 30 years older who have the same op. Plus my leg muscles being fairly strong from cycling helped the recovery too. But I was still surprised how even afterwards I was pain free.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a hip replaced a couple of years ago.

The joint is much, much better than it was but I have not regained 100 per cent mobility.

Cycling is no bother, I think the simple spinning movement in a single plane doesn't challenge the joint.

Other movements involving bending and twisting - such as mounting the bike - are more of a challenge.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My BIL had his replaced mid 30's. Never exercised, wasn't fat either. He is back playing golf and stuff but is quite protective about it as he is early diagnosed as there are only 2 or 3 replacements offered as average life is 10 to 15 years.

Cycling is good and I've told him that, but its not stopped him playing three or four days in a row golfing.

They dont have kids though, and he does not do DIY (he is a liability with power tools) so for him it's been great. I have a colleague whose partner had both done and he still climbs mountians....

Top Bottom