First road bike - advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zane1979

Hi, just joined here and was hoping to gain some good advice on getting my first road bike.

I am currently away travelling overseas for another month or so, but looking to get fully clued up and ready to test out the shortlist I can hopefully create as soon as I’m back on home soil.
I am very keen to get into road riding, both for part of my exercise regime, daily commute and possibly for future longer rides.
I have a budget of £1000, but this includes the cost of equipment I’d also need. (I might be able to stretch a tad if a particularly good bike was available).
Also, I don’t have access to any C2W Scheme unfortunately

So I was looking for a good idea first on what gear I should be getting and also roughly how much I should look to spend on these things – giving me a better idea on how much I’d have left for the actual bike.
Items such as; helmet, lights, pedals, shoes, computer etc. (pretty much all the essentials I should get).
I have 2 LBS available to me which stock the following bike brands. I am open to purchasing the bike online if a better price is attainable, but would prefer to stick to the LBS’ brands - then service the bike etc there.

• Bianchi
  • Cannondale
  • Giant
  • Massi
  • Specialized
  • Trek
I have seen 1 or 2 bikes from each of the brands that are roughly I think in my price bracket, but was hoping to hear some opinions and experiences on any of them.
I am also not opposed to the idea of buying a 2008 model if I could obviously get more for my hard earned.
I have read a few threads on here and it seems there’s a lot of advice and opinions offered, so I hope I can get some good responses to help me along in the decision making process – any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Globalti

Legendary Member
A buddy of mine is going through the same process and has now wisely decided to buy from a good shop (Harry Hall) near his office for servicing, repairs etc.

However HH have advised him to wait until next month when 2010 stock begins to arrive as everybody under-ordered this year and there's a distinct lack of choice. So if he doesn't get a 2010 model he might still find a discounted 2009 model.

ChrisKH

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
A buddy of mine is going through the same process and has now wisely decided to buy from a good shop (Harry Hall) near his office for servicing, repairs etc.

However HH have advised him to wait until next month when 2010 stock begins to arrive as everybody under-ordered this year and there's a distinct lack of choice. So if he doesn't get a 2010 model he might still find a discounted 2009 model.

As RR said with a discounted model. I did the same three years ago.
Could do worse than getting a 2008/9 Spesh Allez Elite/Roubaix.

Zane1979 said:
I have 2 LBS available to me which stock the following bike brands. I am open to purchasing the bike online if a better price is attainable, but would prefer to stick to the LBS’ brands - then service the bike etc there.

Bikes don't need a service like cars - the brakes and spokes may need a bit of adjustment from time to time which you can easily do yourself without having to wait for the LBS to open and the rest is about keeping everything clean.

Randochap

Senior hunter
It is wise to take advantage of the shop warrantee that any good shop offers. This will usually take care of the inevitable minor adjustments that arise in the first weeks of ownership -- brakes, stretched derailleur cables, etc. -- and a good service within the first year.

These will vary, but the above should be a minimum, to my mind, and is what is offered at shops I've worked at.

I don't recommend DIYing even if you have the skills as this may void the warrantee on such things as wheel build. After the first year is up -- go to it. But in the meantime, why give up something that's free?

OP
OP
Z

Zane1979

Hey guys, sorry i havent been on fora short while,

I will be looking to test some bikes out here at the LBSs in the city.
I still havent managed to test any bikes out the last few days - the weather has been a little wet - although i did call in to see what they had in stock there, and there wasnt a great deal for my price range (if only i had AUS$4000+!!!)
icon_cry.gif

1 store has Trek and Bianchi (Trek 1.2s and 1.5s) which i will try, but bianchis are all carbon monocoque frame jobbies (all AUS$3500 upwards!) - no Via Nirone 7s
icon_sad.gif

The other store stocks Giant and Scott, but Giants are all TCR and Dfy advanced with carbon frames, so priced out of them too! (1 model strangely enough had Sora gear on it, priced AU$2000!) Australians definitely pay more for all their bikes than us in UK!!

so.......i will definitely go fora test on both the Treks. I am dissapointed with the Bianchi stock as i would want to compare the Trek with a Via Nirone, and i refuse to test any superior Bianchis there as i will no doubt only depress myself with unattainable desire! lol. And i was thinking i may decide to test a tiagra equipped Giant - just to see how they feel(?). Scotts i dont really like so will bypass them
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anything i need to know about trialing bikes before i head out?

Thanks

RedBike

I don't know much about Massi bikes but at the £1000 level any of the bikes you pick from the manufactures on your list will be absolutely top notch.

However, if this bikes for commuting you may wish to think about splitting your budget and getting two bikes.

Bike one can be a cheap hack that you can fit mud-guards, panner, lights to. A bike you don't mind riding to work in the rain on then leaving soaking wet in a bike shed all day. Puncture proof but heavy tyres. Something that isn't going to 'walk' the moment you look the other way. (If you spend £50 the bike will probably pay for itself within a year in terms of bits you didn't need to buy/replace due to wear on the other bike / being able to use cheaper locks etc).

Bike two can be your pride and joy. Only fitted with the best parts. Only used in dry weather and polished after every ride. No need to add weight or clutter in the form of lights or mud-guards.

Tynan

Veteran
If the bulk of my riding was spent commuting, that's where I'd want the good bike, they're bikes not open top sports cars

simon_brooke

yenrod said:
Giant

Make all these bikes I think.

Bianchi

Cannondale

Massi

Specialized

Trek

Not Cannondale, for sure; they still make their own. Spesh are mostly made in the far east these days but I think it's Merida not Giant. I'd be surpised if Bianchi don't still make their own high-end frames, but the cheaper ones are probably far eastern.

The Spesh Roubaix is a good road bike in your price range; and you can get a full carbon Massi with proper Campag parts for that price.

Top Bottom