First road bike , suggstions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Prasad

Hi,

Recovered from a fall . And now, utilizing ride2work scheme of Evans for new(first) road bike.

Currently I have hybrid commuter, and use to commute 22miles roundtrip till my fall in late dec. Which broke my routine and left arm.

I;ve shortlisted http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bianchi/via-nirone-7-ultegra-105-2010-road-bike-ec021253

and http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/speedster-s20-cd20-2010-road-bike-ec020700

Bianchi is 2009 model and Scott is 2010 model.

I seen/checked bianchi. But, to be honest, being not used to road bike, I can't compare it with anything.

scott model is expected to arrive within week. I'll finalize after testing it.

Please, your suggestions seeing specifications, your experiences.

thanks a lot for reading this thread!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The bianchi looks better and probably rides better. spec wise they are similar.

OP
OP
P

Prasad

gaz said:
The bianchi looks better and probably rides better. spec wise they are similar.

Thanks !

I should make decision by end of this week. My inclination is towards Bianchi,too. Already asked store to order scott for trial. Will check it anyway.

Young Un

Bianchi has the 6700 Ultegra shifters from the look of it, whilst the scott is still using 105, and so for that reason I would go for the Bianchi!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Dont buy the bike off paper. *Always* test ride bikes before you buy as you cannot put down the character of each bike on paper. Both bikes have really good spec, you just need to know which one your heart prefers.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

In particular as its your first road bike, the handling will be very different to what you're used to. I've heard that Italian bikes tend to have quite twitchy handling which is a bit disconcerting for a new roadie.

I bought my first road bike recently - A Boardman Team. I test rode it and it felt like a nice progression from my Badboy, with its stiff frame and its composed ride. It helped that it was really good value for maney, but I made sure to test ride it and compare with other bikes, as the spec doesnt count for much if you dont like how it rides.

OP
OP
P

Prasad

Thanks for your replies.
I'm still waiting for Scott to arrive. It's long wait ! :smile:

redjedi

Über Member
Prasad said:
Well, I decided to go with Bianchi. should pick her up today, if weather is not threatening.

I thought I may have turned up too late, but you made the right decision.

I'm on my second Bianchi now, and when I come to replace it, it will probably be with another Bianchi :tongue:

If only they did a touring version which could take a rack.
:smile: Just googled it and they used to. A San Remo.....that's now top of my shopping list :tongue:

OP
OP
P

Prasad

redjedi said:
I thought I may have turned up too late, but you made the right decision.

I'm on my second Bianchi now, and when I come to replace it, it will probably be with another Bianchi :cheers:

If only they did a touring version which could take a rack.
:cheers: Just googled it and they used to. A San Remo.....that's now top of my shopping list :smile:

Picked up her today. And rode to work. She is fine.

Being new to road bike, riding position with rucksack on back was little awkward for me. Need to know more about gear shifting. :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
it comes quick and it's all good thereafter, get the seat height right, obviously

it feels very different to flat bar riding position but once you get it, anything else feels very wrong indeed

gavintc

Guru
I have no intention of deflating your purchase decision. The Bianchi is a great bike and the Ultegra are high end components. But the wheels do not match the rest of the components. You could but those for less than £100. I would propose that on a bike of this quality, you should think about replacing at some point and I would keep the Shimano 500's for either a turbo wheel or a spare set. But, overall a good decision - you will love it and the weather can only get more bike friendly (we hope :laugh::tongue:)

Top Bottom