First road bike with approx £2-3k budget any reccomendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Maybe expsystem
he benefits of Di2 to the OP who's never ridden a roadbike
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_gear-shifting_system
Electronic gear shifting, once tried nothing compares, so I think

vickster

Legendary Member
Until the battery dies mid ride :biggrin:

I'd rather have a more attractive frame..that's most fugly

And you'll hardly get a feel for a bike riding it round a restricted area in a warehouse as is the case with Decathlon

There is no reason why someone cannot be big and athletic.
That wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that on Sunday he knew zero about road bikes. He knew so little, he thought he couldn't ride one because he was too tall. He's learning. All the advice here is helping with that process - even the ones suggesting other brands, when he said he wanted a bianchi.

(if you want to find the original posting that is being quoted, you just click this link:
Screen Shot 2016-03-25 at 21.18.03.jpg
)

To be honest at that budget and at the lower end of it, I would be tempted by a genesis equilibrium. It was my first road bike after around 20 years and while not the lightest has a lovely ride, looks good and takes guards with 28c tires. Its also steel which means it can cope with light singletrack. I commuted on a canal path for about a year and it was fine. Also I think it would be relatively easy to sell on again or keep as a winter bike, if you take to road biking and want something at the original budget after you have tried it for awhile.

Also check out the specialized site, only because they are doing demo evenings (my concept store had a poster, when I say mine, I mean the LBS) and if one is near you, you can try out a road bike for an hour.

I think Cinelli do something similar if you had to stick to the italians. Surly pacer (if available) would be another good buy.

Bianchi's are great bike's I know I bought one but what influenced me slightly they were fairly unique when I bought mine they are too common now ;-)

Wasn't quite the leap you're thinking of with your original budget but I jumped from a sub £500 flat bar road bike to a full carbon dropped bar bianchi and whilst my initial ride felt a twitchy mistake no ride has since and I'm glad I made the jump.

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Looking into it a bit further ....

Ribble any good ?

Like this http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing/

But must admit i'd have no idea of the build unless just went standard & maybe just upgraded as went along , the sizing works by the looks of it , only downside is that i won't be able to test ride one as so far away .

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Thanks Jef a few mixed reviews so thought I'd ask though thinking about it I'm not going to buy one without test riding it so best forget it anyway , just trying to see what's around & the idea of being different to my Bianchi mates is starting to sound appealing now though not ruled out totally just keeping my options open , I'm going to have a run up to Evans store on Sunday just spoke to them my height will be a problem as they've very limited stock if any at all in the bigger frame sizes but at least I will be able to see a few different bikes in the flesh & get the feel for them & if I find one I like they can order the bigger frame size in with still no obligation to buy :smile:

cm2mackem

Über Member
Looking into it a bit further ....

Ribble any good ?

Like this http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing/

But must admit i'd have no idea of the build unless just went standard & maybe just upgraded as went along , the sizing works by the looks of it , only downside is that i won't be able to test ride one as so far away .

Ask @Dave7 he's just had his Ribble stolen. I was the same last year but asked some others at a sportive who had Ribble, planet x and Dolan bikes if I could have a spin, all were very obliging, I ended up with a Dolan

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yeah I'd like to do that as well just my height is going to be a problem as need to find another tall bloke ! Trawling through all the links that were posted above I'm not so keen on the Ribble now though it's made me more aware of the Giant range think that I'll incorporate a visit to the Radlett store on my way out of London on Sunday , if I'm not confused now I will be come Sunday evening !!

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well after properly looking for my first road bike I now realise how ridiculous the heading of this thread is as there looks to be some very capable bikes that will more than tick my needs between £1000 - £1500 so apoligies for the first post but I really thought that was the amount I was going to have to part with to get something half reasonable but with your help / advice & a bit of research over the last 2/3 weeks I now know different :smile:

My eye has been caught by the Giant Defy advanced 2 & the Radlett store happens to have an XL frame in stock & I've a test ride booked in for tomorrow morning , I know it's going to feel totally alien to me but the reviews seem good & I like the look of it just hope that it feels alright :smile:

OP
OP
Tiny01

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Wife & I had a ride to Radlett earlier today & visited the Giant store , we was made to feel very welcome & it was great to see all the bikes lined up in the flesh .

The staff were very knowledgeable & had loads of product knowledge & the questions that I asked were all answered in great detail .

The bike I'd chosen was prepared & the pedals put on , I filled out a basic form & a photo copy of my ID was taken & I was asked to sit on the bike .

I've never ever owned let alone been on a road bike ever before so I'll be honest it felt very strange , the bike felt narrow , long & very tall , felt like I was reaching & the brakes levers seemed in an awkward place , but I knew all this was going to feel alien to me after riding my MTB for so long .

A few adjustments were made , helmet on & I was explained the gear levers ( very impressed ) & told to go & have a ride !

It was unbelievable really really loved it I seemed to cover so much ground without so much effort , flicking up & down through the gears I felt 16 again !!

After 15/20 mins I thought that I'd best turn round & go back to the store , the lads were waiting for me & explained that if I was to purchase one then it would be custom fitted to suit my size with adjustments made to the seat , stem , brake levers etc , great service I must say & feels like you're getting more for your money .

Run out of time so didn't get to the Evans store & not sure that I'm going to even , will have a sleep on it & probably purchase in the next day or to the Giant Defy advanced 2 :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom