first solo tour in france

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evidently, booking.com have been hauled into court in France over their commission costs and many French B&Bs are refusing to deal with them. Be a shame if we lose that facility. I've been ripped off in France by a B&B where I just turned up at the gate.
Oh I do hope that gets sorted! We've always used booking.com in France and every experience has been very good.

I reckon you're much more likely to interact with other people camping than in hotels.
yes, ask any business person who stays in hotels on business trips - i doubt they are on a social whirl.

I suppose the answer is to go to hotels with a soul - however, also I agree with Mr Davenport - I'm not a particularly sociable geezer but i'm plagued with people coming over to talk to me when i am camping
having seen your loaded bike pics could it be because they want to borrow something and feel sure that you must have one of whatever? :smile:

(must admit i carry a lot as well)

As an example of the help and hospitality you will receive. Late one Sunday I pitched up at a quite rural hotel. The owner apologised for the kitchen being closed but he'd see what he could find. 20 minutes later he knocked on my door. I could have wept! Never forgotten that man. He didn't charge me for the food. View attachment 338076
really nice story and pic but am intrigued - was that beer served with a small jug of milk?

bigjim

Legendary Member
yes, ask any business person who stays in hotels on business trips - i doubt they are on a social whirl.
A couple of years ao we were in travel lodge type Business hotel on an industrial estate in France. There was nowhere nearby to eat. We spotted a poster on the wall belonging to a Pizza place. We asked a couple of french guys to order for us. Two single business people saw what we were doing and also placed an order. Pizzas arrived and we all spent the evening talking together and having a good laugh. It's a lonely life on the road if it's part of your work and people in these hotels often welcome a bit of company. In tourism hotels, I've found people are curious where you are going on the bike and where you have come from. I find hotels just as social as campsites.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That seems more to do with having schedules which are usually meetings and travelling between meetings, then travelling to a hotel near the following day's first meeting, finding dinner and sleeping, maybe with writing visit reports or refining/rehearsing presentations mixed in there somewhere. The exceptions are things like conferences and trade missions where you're in the same place and/or with the same people for several days.

Has anyone reading this camped for a business trip and like to comment if that results in greater social interaction under similar trip constraints?

London to Paris is hardly long enough to be a fair sample - plus it is a well trodden route - I dont use hotels that much touring - do quite a lot when I'm working - occasionally camp when I'm working - for the most part when I stay in hotels I find people very insular - camping it really depends on whether there is anyone else there - but generally somebody will come across and chat

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Mostly I just start looking for accommodation as dusk approaches. Chambre d'hote or hotel, whatever. Never yet been at a loss.

woodbutcher

Veteran
As has been noted, France is well served with campsites and restaraunts. On my last Pyreneean jaunt I took a minimalist tent/mat/bag and ate out. If the weather turns, you can splash out on a room. This way you can get away with minimal planing and thinking ahead.
I live in SW France and l would say that your suggestion is the way to go....even in our small town (about 250-300 people) we have a campsite with a swimming pool and a bar also a small hotel with restaurant/bar and two more just restaurants. France is generally cycle friendly so go for it...bonne route !!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mix it up and do a bit of both. France isn't remote enough to "have to" camp if you just dont fancy it one night.

Enjoy, I'm doing a couple of northern France/belgium trips this month and next but nothing longer than 3 days so far.

Top Bottom