First time mortgage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I worry for my two, currently 11 and 14. And living in Berkshire you don't get much for a ot of wonga.
Start saving for them? Maybe they won't end of living in the SE?

I was able to buy primarily due to inheritance from deceased grandparents :sad:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
In my experience older property is a better bet than the new build cardboard boxes that are being thrown up at the moment.
A good quality 1930s semi or terrace should be rock solid and can be chopped and changed to suit a growing family.

we have been trying to tell her this for ages but no she has her mind set on a new box !!!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
250k and a 35yr span of constant worry can't be good for you?

I rented a place last year and couldn't wait to be back "home" with far fewer financial worries. I'm not the scrimp every penny and save for a rainy day kind of person.

Give me new bikes, kit and blingy parts to enjoy while living, I'll be dead an awful long time

Cycleops

Legendary Member
we have been trying to tell her this for ages but no she has her mind set on a new box !!!
There are advantages of course, you can just move in and be up and running with no additional fixing costs. I have seen some horror stories about new builds so research the builder very well.
Older houses can often be high maintainence and you don't want to forking out for a new roof when most of your money is going into the mortgage. I once had a 250 yr old cottage and it was always needing work.

SteveF

It's a bit of a time bomb waiting to go off... It's OK at the moment with low interest rates, but that may change at some point and if it does.....

Reactions: gbb
It's a bit of a time bomb waiting to go off... It's OK at the moment with low interest rates, but that may change at some point and if it does.....
New mortgages these days are all about affordability and are very strict. They look at what you can afford and place that against interest rates much higher than they are today. They will not lend if you can afford to pay today but cannot afford if rates are 5%. This has been the case for a few years but people with mortgages prior to this may suffer however most of those were already paying 5% which is was the base rate was around pre '08

There was a building society bod on BBC breakfast this week, saying that lenders are now lending to pensioners, who themselves are using that money to help grandchildren buy a house. The crusty old Saga lot are seen as a safe bet and let's face it, they hoovered up the good times in the first place.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When we got our first mortgage we put down £4000 deposit on the house.
The girl dealing with us said our £36,000 mortgage sounded scary, but her parents first house was bought for the amount of our £4K deposit .

It is scary though. We got on the treadmill in the early 90's. I pity someone starting off now.

Top Bottom