First time out on a road bike today,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
If it bothers you and you have a serviceable freehub, take it apart and re-grease with a heavier grease.
No , its no bother at all , it reminded me of bikes of my younger days , they were always noisy , the wheels and hubs are Cole Rollens , only rhing I may need to alter is the cassette , I feel as though I will struggle on fairly steep inclines , other than that I really happy with it , a pity reallywith present medic probs I am a poor power unit for such a machine , but ! , the intro of this bike has got me very giddy to get out , put up and shut up !! , do the miles !! ( but no lycra pants ! )
Yep getting very giddy !!

I changed the pawl springs in the freewheel the other year, but due to the way it is designed you can't really stop the noise.

I use mine as said above, to warn pedestrians,horse riders etc when I'm approaching. It saves the added weight of having a bell!

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
image.png

Interestingly , I came across this pic from the Cole website , Looks like my model bike with some high spec running gear ,

Gixxerman

Guru
Nice looking bike that. I recall my first carbon roadie ride about 3 years ago. My initial impression after I had built it up was that how can something this light support me at speed? I was really cautious on my first ride as it felt like I was riding something made out of cardboard tubes. There was just no weight below me. I couldn't get the thought out of my head that it would simply break if a pushed it too hard. However as the miles wore on and I safely got through some rough roads my confidence grew and I forgot about my concerns and just soaked up the great feeling of a superb bit of machinery. Couldn't believe just how easy it was to go quick and the aceleration was something else. The hardest bit to come to terms was how the bike moved under me - power application and road imperfections caused the bike to move a lot. I expect that it is due to having less inertia due to the much lower weight.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Its is the cassete when freewheeling that is noisy , I should have mentioned that !
Yep a few mateys to ride with would be good ! Just got a few medical shortfalls to overcome first , but I am thinking if joining the Friday night coast mob !
And doing the Manchester to Llandudno ride in May.
Ah yes.

I quite like a loud freehub, but then I do a lot of commuting and dont ride in massive club rides ir groups (which can be weary for others)

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Nice looking bike that. I recall my first carbon roadie ride about 3 years ago. My initial impression after I had built it up was that how can something this light support me at speed? I was really cautious on my first ride as it felt like I was riding something made out of cardboard tubes. There was just no weight below me. I couldn't get the thought out of my head that it would simply break if a pushed it too hard. However as the miles wore on and I safely got through some rough roads my confidence grew and I forgot about my concerns and just soaked up the great feeling of a superb bit of machinery. Couldn't believe just how easy it was to go quick and the aceleration was something else. The hardest bit to come to terms was how the bike moved under me - power application and road imperfections caused the bike to move a lot. I expect that it is due to having less inertia due to the much lower weight.

to be honest , I do not move fast enough to have any of the probs you mentioned , but I was comfortable riding it at my own pace on the bad roads from West to East London , I have been riding a Surley with Land cruisers on , and apart from , as said , it was like a bullit from the off at lights etc ,I did not really feel much difference in handling , vast improvement with shifting though , the Surley has bar end shifters , the f derailer is friction so needs a little tweaking ,

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Well , one week on and Ive done about 100miles on it , changed the saddle , it was killing me !!
had to have the headset changed and lifted a little , much more comfortable now , staying away from inclines though untill I get cassette changed , , an 11-34 would be my 1st choice ? but that gets a bit more involved it seems , but , what a nice ride !

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I wonder if many roadies go in that shop. I've often had coffee in that strip, but never been in. The Claude Butlers on display outside said to me it was a shop for tow-path family pootlers. Obviously wrong, but still, it might explain the lack of sales.

(My last bike purchase was before it opened)
Ive been in . Nice fella and has a lovely display of Ti frames on the wall . I asked about a Ti frame for a TT bike before i bought the giant trinity .

Top Bottom