First time out on a road bike today,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It should be silent from the off with new components, your indexing needs a slight tweek.
Not if it the freehub and pawl springs there are some wheels that are silent but some make a racket from the off (particularly Campagnolo or Fulcrum wheels IME). The OP will get use to it it only occurs on freewheeling as the pawls disengage and if they really can't freewheel less :laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hope hubs are one brand which is known to be noisy while freewheeling.

'The ticking sound of quality' as those who like the brand are keen to call it.

Can be handy for alerting other users on shared paths, although that isn't so useful on the road.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Its is the cassete when freewheeling that is noisy , I should have mentioned that !
Yep a few mateys to ride with would be good ! Just got a few medical shortfalls to overcome first , but I am thinking if joining the Friday night coast mob !
And doing the Manchester to Llandudno ride in May.

Hope so !
Its sounds like an old football rattle !

It should be silent from the off with new components, your indexing needs a slight tweek.

Hope hubs are one brand which is known to be noisy while freewheeling.

'The ticking sound of quality' as those who like the brand are keen to call it.

Can be handy for alerting other users on shared paths, although that isn't so useful on the road.

Yep, sounds like the hub to me, as Pale rider says Hope hubs are renowned for making a racket. Nothing to worry about Oz....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As posters above have noted - certain brands of freehub are very noisy. My Campagnolo and Hope freehubs certainly are!

I hadn't realised that I was using the noise to alert pedestrians and horse riders to my approach until I started riding my near-silent CX bike and wondered why nobody realised that I was bearing down on them.

I have heard others say this about them being popular in Europe,
Mark , the owner of Crown Cycles tried to sell them around here in west london , but alas , most people go for the more well known brands , He will sort the h/set out for me , hes a top bloke !!
I wonder if many roadies go in that shop. I've often had coffee in that strip, but never been in. The Claude Butlers on display outside said to me it was a shop for tow-path family pootlers. Obviously wrong, but still, it might explain the lack of sales.

(My last bike purchase was before it opened)

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not if it the freehub and pawl springs there are some wheels that are silent but some make a racket from the off (particularly Campagnolo or Fulcrum wheels IME). The OP will get use to it it only occurs on freewheeling as the pawls disengage and if they really can't freewheel less :laugh:

I do wonder sometimes if companies deliberately make their hubs noisy to encourage you to keep pedalling. Work on that cadence, boy!

My Cero wheels that I bought last year are the same - I think they use Novatec hubs.

I do wonder sometimes if companies deliberately make their hubs noisy to encourage you to keep pedalling. Work on that cadence, boy!

My Cero wheels that I bought last year are the same - I think they use Novatec hubs.

That would make sense as my Novatecs are noisy.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ooops, missed the bit about the noise being only when freewheeling.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I wonder if many roadies go in that shop. I've often had coffee in that strip, but never been in. The Claude Butlers on display outside said to me it was a shop for tow-path family pootlers. Obviously wrong, but still, it might explain the lack of sales.

(My last bike purchase was before it opened)
I was of the same opinion about the display out front , I drifted in there to get some cables earlier in the year , he holds his own on sales , but BH just not on the radar , Inside he has some very nice stuff , some really nice Storck's , Lynskey and Merida's ,
And 1 BH Left !!
He is going to build me some wheels for my Fothergill as well as help source parts for that project ,
I , personally would rather buy off him than the big boys ,

GuyBoden

Guru
Yep I've got fulcrums and they are noisy. Nice bike by the way.. enjoy.
I've got a bike with Fulcrums too, the freewheel is noisy, I changed the pawl springs in the freewheel the other year, but due to the way it is designed you can't really stop the noise.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it bothers you and you have a serviceable freehub, take it apart and re-grease with a heavier grease.

Top Bottom