first winter of cycling.....when does ice become a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

I think it's maybe half a second or so earlier than that.
Haha true!

DWiggy

Über Member
I ride the same bike all year round, the only modification I make is to add mud guards when it rains. On day's where ice might be about try to stick to main roads as usually gritted, drop my speed down and that's it, the country roads can be a problem I also rely on my rear brake more on icy days

Hip Priest

Veteran
I got some ice tyres last year. £26 the pair, which was a bit of a steal. They're great, and I'll be putting them back on when the temps drop.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
On day's where ice might be about
Here ice is always about!
Last March - mid March actually, a clear sunny morning at around 8am... take the ice bike? Nay, wot ice ... few yards down the road my back wheel went, took a tumble, ripped my lovely warm jacket, permanent road rash scar on my elbow ... sheet ice :angry:

Here ice is always about!
Last March - mid March actually, a clear sunny morning at around 8am... take the ice bike? Nay, wot ice ... few yards down the road my back wheel went, took a tumble, ripped my lovely warm jacket, permanent road rash scar on my elbow ... sheet ice :angry:
Dinnae cast a cloot til May's oot!

gbb

Legendary Member
Anyway, whats the advice for dealing with potential ice. Do i need to change tyres or will just taking it a bit slower/easier suffice? Where will it be most slippy? Sections sheltered from the early morning sun? I have a few cobbles and a level crossing and tram tracks to contend with too do they get slippy or is smooth tarmac the worst? Any other tips?
One very specific area I found is where tarmac has melted in the summer and you see those shiny patches in the road...I was riding one such road and as soon as I hit one of those patches....off in an instant. That was a bright sunny morning but there were still bits of frost visible where the sun hadnt got to it. I thought the road was ok and it was just the bits of verge...apparently not.

I used to commute seriously, all weathers. Frost rarely stopped me, just ride carefully and if unsure...I'd take the hybrid, same for snow .

I commuted for about10 years, only had two or three offs due to frost.

Top Bottom