first winter of cycling.....when does ice become a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Hi, rediscovered cycling in the spring and have been commuting since then. Most of my path is a lightly gravelled canal towpath so should be quite grippy. I just have a hybrid with thin tyres.

Before and after i get on the canal path though there is about 10 minutes or so on roads...just fairly quiet residential streets but if i leave at 6:30 or 7am it could be frosty/icy still. I'm worried about coming off really. Was going to go back to the tram or car once winter came but i keep thinking i'll do another week.

Anyway, whats the advice for dealing with potential ice. Do i need to change tyres or will just taking it a bit slower/easier suffice? Where will it be most slippy? Sections sheltered from the early morning sun? I have a few cobbles and a level crossing and tram tracks to contend with too do they get slippy or is smooth tarmac the worst? Any other tips?

Just go slower and take more care...if you feel that it's not safe to ride...DON'T! Watch out for road marking that might have frosted over...can be like an ice-rink :-)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cobbles, shade etc are places where you need to watch out for ice, but the worst conditions are when there is black ice - then you just don't know where the ice is and I do need spiked tyres really to feel vaguely confident. Frost isn't too bad, apart from on line markings.

JoshM

I rode my road bike all but 2 days last winter with normal skinny tyres. I just slowed down, looked ahead more and used the brakes as sparingly and gently as I could - just like you do with a car in bad weather.

I work shifts, so I was regularly cycling at 0530, 0630, and even 0200.

Of course, the winter was particularly mild last year (here anyway), with the wind being the biggest hindrance to my commute by bike (I use the Forth Road Bridge)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My view is ice is not suitable for two wheel transport, pedaled or motorised. I've tried both - on my arse on push-bike, and still remember horrendous motorcycle ride fro.Torridon to London in 6" of snow most the way to Glasgow -merely sleet and horrid rest of way to London (I was keen in those days, and maybe on a promise too).

Maybe ok on studded tyres or whatever but hardly worth it for UK aurely

buggi

Bird Saviour
It's weird. You can get a day at -3 and its fine and a day at 2 degrees and its thick ice. What you need to keep an eye on is humidity when the temp drops plus windchill. Things to watch for, although obvious not everyone clocks them, if the pavements are wet the night before, if the gritters are out, northerly winds, iced up windscreens. Stick to main roads if you're unsure, watch for shaded areas where ice may not have thawed out even if it's sunny, leaves and manhole covers can be treacherous. If in doubt, don't ride, one day off the bike is better than six weeks bcoz of a broken collar bone

albion

Guru
You need to know the area and the forecast, ice impacting any time from October onwards.

The other winter, the offroad track near Stephensons cottage had 2 inches of ice and was totally unnavigable with 40mm tyres. Walking it was almost as bad.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I follow some local cyclists and cycling groups on Twitter, and that's often my first clue that there is ice about in the morning.... Especially black ice.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Come the end of this month I will fit my marathon winter tyres to my old banger, then use that bike most until the end of March. On special offer here.
If you can manage to stay on gritted roads you will be fine - mostly :smile:
I suppose your area is warmer then Scotland, so, maybe, the expense of the studded tyres won't be necessary, here they allow me to commute with confidence in icy conditions.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's icy/snow I'll switch to an old GT Timberline mountain bike from 1990. It's got 26" studded tyres on. Since the photo it's received a decent saddle and new grips plus some funky (but horrible to fit) half-length mudguards.

A £35 eBay purchase with a pair of £20 studded tyres it's worth it just for safety:

DSCF2303_zps51718272.jpg

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Come the end of this month I will fit my marathon winter tyres to my old banger, then use that bike most until the end of March. On special offer here.
If you can manage to stay on gritted roads you will be fine - mostly :smile:
I suppose your area is warmer then Scotland, so, maybe, the expense of the studded tyres won't be necessary, here they allow me to commute with confidence in icy conditions.
I paid more when I bought mine several years ago, and they are still going strong, I just have a spare bike sitting with them on that I can grab when I need to.

Top Bottom