first winter of cycling.....when does ice become a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You can put all the winter tyres/gear on the bike you like but if you don't have a clue how to handle a bike or what the ground condition is then you are still an accident waiting to happen. My philosophy is to keep the standard set-up but continually test the grip levels all through the ride so I know how much I need to back off the pace. All it takes is a little extra squeeze on the back brake to test how easily it loses grip. Do this regularly as you ride along at any point that looks suspicious then you will always know when the conditions are icy. Doing this will also help you get a feel for how the bike feels and handles in less perfect grip situations so that when you do encounter a small slippy patch it is much less likely to be a shock and hopefully you will be able to control it rather than going down like a sack of spuds!

Having said all that, it isn't an infallible plan and I did go down hard in 2013 even when it wasn't icy due to the amount of salt residue on the road and now I have said all the above I am sure to revisit the tarmac again this winter :B)

Only you can make the call on how important not falling off is. Personally I don't worry about it too much so keep riding, but everyone is different so perhaps putting the bike away when it gets cold is the right choice for some?

With spiky tyres on sale at £10-15, making it oneself doesn't seem worthwhile unless you enjoy such projects.
They were about £40 a pop when I made them.

Its a matter of building up confidence, if you think you are going to fall off then that,s a good starter to do so, when I was working shift work which meant starting and finishing shift at early mornings at the airport, I used to stop using the cyclepaths and ride the bus routes as they were gritted all night, with snow I used to try and cycle in fresh snow rather than use the compressed snow. that was using road tyres. If I found a really bad spot, black ice etc then I would get off and walk. and for the rare bad weather then it was prudent to catch the bus.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends on your commute. Ice is almost never a problem on mine- most of the roads I use get gritted and it isn't often that cold where I live. The only time ice is a problem for me is after a fall of snow (it gets compacted and may re-freeze overnight), even then this is generally only a problem on sideroads.

Wolf616

Über Member
Anyone have much experience cycling in London in winter? I'm assuming ice isn't a huge problem...

If you see this, then it's too late:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjVHckuhOB5ymtDkrG8nki6cNloZLYTpGtcb2lknqfgx4dvh7tIA.jpg

As others have said, lower the pressure in your tyres, and maybe take the seat down an inch or two should you need to use your feet as stabilisers.

Never had a problem when I've commuted just stuck to main gritted roads on dodgy days and moderated my ride so I haven't had to lean. Last year I part drove/cycled and on icy days I'd drive that little bit further so my cycle was completely flat making that moderation easier.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
First ice scrape of the car window this morning :cold:. At least we don't get that problem on a bike!
Last winter I went to visit a friend, back to the bike after a few hours, the saddle was thick with ice.
Had to wipe it off with my gloves!

bpsmith

Veteran
Nothing here yet, but can see it being anytime soon.

Heating not back on yet either. Don't usually wait this long, but the closer it gets to November, the more of a challenge it has become.

leedsmick

last year i commuted to work every day mainly in the dark in the early mornings when the frost was worst on my Vespa and only missed a week when the snow was at it's worst. I fitted proper winter tyres rated for snow and ice and still came off twice so id always so proceed with caution. If its really bad and you dont have to ride, dont.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If you learn to fall over with style Ice is never a problem........
Course it helps to have your own personal cameraman following you to record the incident. :smile:

crash1-png.35912.png

crash2-png.35913.png

Slow down, look for the giveaway shine of sunlight hitting ice, and if you're at the front of the Peloton shout something when you start to fall over..

I at least managed the last bit, and the 40+ other audax riders behind me avoided my fate.....

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Watch out when riding over bridges. There is no soil beneath the road surface to insulate it, and ice forms earlier than on the surrounding roads.

+1 for the above advice. It's a real shock when your front wheel suddenly slips out sideways from underneath you. Black ice on bridges is nasty.

Top Bottom