first winter of cycling.....when does ice become a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you learn to fall over with style Ice is never a problem........
Course it helps to have your own personal cameraman following you to record the incident. :smile:

crash1-png.35912.png

crash2-png.35913.png

Slow down, look for the giveaway shine of sunlight hitting ice, and if you're at the front of the Peloton shout something when you start to fall over..

I at least managed the last bit, and the 40+ other audax riders behind me avoided my fate.....
Do you intentionally choose stuntmen that are thinner than you?

:tongue:

biking_fox

Guru
Hi, rediscovered cycling in the spring and have been commuting since then. Most of my path is a lightly gravelled canal towpath so should be quite grippy. I just have a hybrid with thin tyres.

Before and after i get on the canal path though there is about 10 minutes or so on roads...just fairly quiet residential streets but if i leave at 6:30 or 7am it could be frosty/icy still. I'm worried about coming off really. Was going to go back to the tram or car once winter came but i keep thinking i'll do another week.

Anyway, whats the advice for dealing with potential ice. Do i need to change tyres or will just taking it a bit slower/easier suffice? Where will it be most slippy? Sections sheltered from the early morning sun? I have a few cobbles and a level crossing and tram tracks to contend with too do they get slippy or is smooth tarmac the worst? Any other tips?

Depends where you are. I've been commuting in manchester for several years now and never changed any set-up of my bike or had days off because of ice and snow. The biggest concessions I've had to make are wearing waterproof trousers and slowing down. It's been no worse than riding in the rain. The side streets can be a bit tricky (ie slower), but once on the main roads it's easy going. The biggest issues for me are getting into ruts in the snow. But it's very rare.

I was about to write the same as @biking_fox - since the one cold snap that caught the council about 3 years ago now they are rather OTT with gritting. Although if you are going offroad or on minor roads you may have more issues. You can find out which streets are gritted (and if they are gritting any given night) online somewhere. In proper snow, like we get much!, being on a bus route helps as the busses churn up the snow so it's ridable.

The only place I did come off was in the one park - I was idly pedalling along musing whether or not they gritted the park, spotted the frozen puddle and thought 'no, they don't grit the park' and promptly rode straight over the thing and came off. Doh.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anyone have much experience cycling in London in winter? I'm assuming ice isn't a huge problem...
The larger roads get gritted/salted in good time. Smaller roads in residential area can be quite horrendous and come as a bit of a shock if you have just turned off a grited artery. BTW, London tends to be a few degrees warmer than the surrounding countryside because of all the heat spewing out of buildings.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Smaller roads in residential area can be quite horrendous and come as a bit of a shock if you have just turned off a grited artery.
This is true everywhere. Part of the challenge is remembering which roads will have been treated and not forgetting how icy it is and turning off onto your usual route without thinking!

leedsmick

What, the bike or the Vespa and spiked tyres, or just winter compound/mould? :eek: How did that happen? But yes, I agree, still ride with caution.
Off the Vespa. One was at a low speed turning up a side street that was quite steep. Luckily 1st thing and nobody about. Other was more related to my braking which would have been fine had I not bed. Going over black ice

Wolf616

Über Member
The larger roads get gritted/salted in good time. Smaller roads in residential area can be quite horrendous and come as a bit of a shock if you have just turned off a grited artery. BTW, London tends to be a few degrees warmer than the surrounding countryside because of all the heat spewing out of buildings.

Cheers for that. I will devise two routes then; the nicer not horrendously busy route for when it's not freezing, and the busier but not bone-breaking (theoretically) route for when it is freezing.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
When there is frost around, I change my route and go by road, avoiding the cycle route and canal. Is this an option?

Otherwise, white ice is OK as long as you corner as though you can't lean your bike (i.e. very slowly). It gives a lovely crunchy sound to tell you that its there, and to beware. Black ice can tip you off with even only minor changes to direction. It often can't be seen, and gives no indication through sound either.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers for that. I will devise two routes then; the nicer not horrendously busy route for when it's not freezing, and the busier but not bone-breaking (theoretically) route for when it is freezing.
Make sure to cycle away from the gutter, ideally ride over the track left by the cars left wheels. That area should be ice free.

Simontm

Veteran
As @speccy1 says; When you fall off.
Am in London so the commute is fairly easy throughout winter. The one bit of snow was fantastic as it was fresh powder and I seemed to be the only person out on the road - by home time, the snow had gone. An inch or so to nowt. Quite odd.
Most roads are gritted and the only problem I had was there was a downpour in the evening followed by a sharp frost overnight so that when I reached the top of Beddington Park to head down to the Wandle trail, I thought I had a flat (lack of solidity), I put my foot down to find I was stopped on a sheet of black ice - pure luck I hadn't fallen over.

rourkey34

Just make sure tyres have plenty of tread left and leave a few minutes earlier. Don't try and break any records you will be fine

Top Bottom