Fit and fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

For those trying to lose weight but struggling with things like being hungry, I really recommend watching this lecture on calorie density:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

Quite long so might need to watch it in two parts- but honestly nothing else will make eating for weight loss more clear than this. And the dietitian giving the lecture (Jeff Novick) is quite entertaining too. It's from a Dr McDougall study weekend.

Just watched the complete video, very interesting, do you know how old this is?

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Just watched the complete video, very interesting, do you know how old this is?

I think about ten years. But the dietitian there, Jeff Novick, is still promoting all the same stuff. I like him because he makes things so clear. He's written some more about it here. Very interesting stuff.
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2012/5/20_A_Common_Sense_Approach_To_Sound_Nutrition.html

Starchivore

I like it, has anyone tried to challenge his findings?

I'm not sure really. I'd imagine it'd be hard to challenge the calorie-density numbers themselves. But I'm sure some people would say it's better to eat the same things you usually eat and enjoy, including calorie-dense treats, and weigh things out and count the calories as carefully as possible. I think that would be a nightmare but I know some people do manage it.

david k

Hi
I'm not sure really. I'd imagine it'd be hard to challenge the calorie-density numbers themselves. But I'm sure some people would say it's better to eat the same things you usually eat and enjoy, including calorie-dense treats, and weigh things out and count the calories as carefully as possible. I think that would be a nightmare but I know some people do manage it.
He is right though, people who do that generally cannot do it for long, too time consuming. This approach is so simply, makes sense and is easy to do. It's something we should all know, so why don't we follow this more?
Is it because diets make people money?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I try to have at least 3 big salads a week.

I worked out the calorie density thing for myself and realised that I could eat as much salad as I wanted, within reason. I am careful not to overdo what I have with a salad. Sometimes I will have a baked sweet potato, that kind of thing.

Here's an example - a humungous great bowl of salad accompanied by a tin of tuna in BRINE, not oil. The jar contains a home-made dressing made from natural yoghurt, crushed garlic, lemon juice, black pepper and just a little honey and extra virgin olive oil.

tuna-salad-jpg.32104.jpg

I think that I have been overdoing my favourite treat - mixed nuts and raisins. I started having that combination to wean myself off chocolate and cake. It worked but I am now getting through an awful lot of nuts in a week instead! I think they are very healthy but I ought to cut down until I get my weight back to where I want it (about 10 kgs, 22 lbs. 1 st 8 lbs below what it is now).

david k

Hi
Yes I think I had worked out the calorie density thing but seeing it made me realise what I thought I may have already known, :smile:

Love the bowl of salad, snacking is often the issue, I snack on natural fat free yoghurts and some go ahead bars, fruit etc.

This is an excellent video, informative, easy to understand and with humour.

It is definitely worth watching for the whole 39 minutes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-BJzqMbsxI

Starchivore

He is right though, people who do that generally cannot do it for long, too time consuming. This approach is so simply, makes sense and is easy to do. It's something we should all know, so why don't we follow this more?
Is it because diets make people money?

Absolutely- there's generally no money in recommending lentils and broccoli and boiled potatoes unfortunately! The money is made in selling crazy "diet secrets".....

Top Bottom