Fitting an SQR block

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm about to fit my SQR block. The question is where on the seatpost it should go?

I'm using my MTB as a tourer so there is a lot of seatpost length 15cm at least. The bag is a Carradura which I'll be using for a 5 day B+B tour. I guess as low as possible to reduce strain on the seatpost. What is your advice?

Thanks.

There are two movements you need to consider, putting the bag on and removing is the first. These both require some space above the block, to allow for this.

Secondly you need to consider the pedaling movement, the lower the bag, the more likely you are to hit your thighs when pedalling.

I have always fitted mine about 2" below the bottom of the seat rails and this has worked fine for me.

Plax

Guru
I've got mine set up differently on both bikes. I think it depends on your saddle position. Because my hybrid is slightly on the small side (I have the seat post on the marker line), I've had to put the saddle further back on the rails than the saddle on my tourer, so I found the top of the bag support was higher than my saddle and got on my nerves.
It's probably going to be a case of tweaking it to suit, making sure there is enough clearance above the wheel, and for getting the bag off. On the hybrid the SQR block is pretty much in the middle of the seatpost, on the tourer it's a couple of inches from the top of the seat post.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Many thanks to you both.

I now have it fitted, about 3 inches down from the saddle and the bag goes on and off fine. Have put the bag on empty and my only concern is that it may sag down and touch the rear wheel, if so I'll just move it up a bit and pack the bag differently.

Also, I used a couple of rings of old inner tube to hopefully protect the seat post from scratches (I hope).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For occasional really heavy loads, a bungee hooked around the front seat rails, under the bag and onto the rear saddle-rails can help keep the load clear of the rear wheel without needing to raise the block. I regularly use Barley but occasionally a Camper long-flap on my TCR and the bungee trick just aids stability and keeps it just off the rear wheel.

Top Bottom