Fitting breaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ReeceS08

Hey all, let me introduce myself.

My names Reece, im from the UK and im not much of a cyclist, i like to mess around with bikes and if the distance is shorter than lets say, 6 mile i'll do it on a bike.

They do facinate me though, i love mucking about with them. For example today i got a crappy mountain bike, it had a puncture in the back tire and really bold, thing, crud tires. I found some fairly new bulkier ones and refitted them just to see how it panned out. It actually worked quite well,

Anyway, enough of my babblings on.

I've got a mountain bike with perfectly working normal standard breaks, they arn't disc breaks or any of that.

And i have a BMX, nothing special but it's a death trap on wheels. It has no breaks or grips. The grips are the easiest thing to fit on a bike, easier than a seat. But breaks on the other hand are a little bit trickier.

Is there any techniques or hints/tips you can give me to fitting these breaks? I will be fitting them tomorrow anyway but some of your wisdom would certainly help me.

What do i need to watch out for? Are there different sized breaks from a mountain bike and a BMX? All that info, thanks fella's (and ladies)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Brakes dear boy, it's brakes. B-R-A-K-E-S.
Yours pedantically
Mr Ianrauk

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The kid that passed me today seemed to have solved the problem of brakes on a BMX bike... shoe on the back wheel.... aren't BMX's meant to be death traps?:tongue:

Can't help on the type of brakes other than I don't think its normally V-brakes and I definately don't know how to do the cabling around that collar thing.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
ReeceS08 said:
Yeah, lol. My bad.

I'm so used to breaking the bones of the grammar police/nerds
:biggrin:
Welcome by the way.

As for brakes, you will need BMX ones i would think. But never been into BMX stuff.
Brakes are easy to fit. Easier then you would think. I did have a BMX though, and the brakes i looked at and worked out. I guess your talking agout the giro(not a clue of the real name, am i right?) thingy. It works with the front brake going down through the centre of it and coming out somewhere near the forks. The rear brake seperates into two and pulls this color thing thats around the headset, which has 2 more cables attached , then there is a special block which takes 2 cables to one. So its just like wanging on some BMX brakes, getting the right cable and you maybe have that giro or whatever thing it is that allows you to spin the front wheel as many times as you like so the cables wont get tangled. Nothing hard about them really, all simple stuff. I guess that for proper BMX brakes, you would need BMX specific brake levers?
You get me? I can probably explain it better if you need. But its just about joining 2 cables to one, two times so that they pull that collar up right and straight, which pulls the bottom lip up and two more cables. Then joins to another joining block to convert back to one cable. All easy stuff.
Anyway, most of the kids that ride BMX around here have no brakes, wel unless the foot counts as one:laugh:

No one commented on the spelling of 'tires' for someone from the UK?:becool: You seem very American to me.

OP
OP
R

ReeceS08

Joe24 said:
;)
Welcome by the way.

As for brakes, you will need BMX ones i would think. But never been into BMX stuff.
Brakes are easy to fit. Easier then you would think. I did have a BMX though, and the brakes i looked at and worked out. I guess your talking agout the giro(not a clue of the real name, am i right?) thingy. It works with the front brake going down through the centre of it and coming out somewhere near the forks. The rear brake seperates into two and pulls this color thing thats around the headset, which has 2 more cables attached , then there is a special block which takes 2 cables to one. So its just like wanging on some BMX brakes, getting the right cable and you maybe have that giro or whatever thing it is that allows you to spin the front wheel as many times as you like so the cables wont get tangled. Nothing hard about them really, all simple stuff. I guess that for proper BMX brakes, you would need BMX specific brake levers?
You get me? I can probably explain it better if you need. But its just about joining 2 cables to one, two times so that they pull that collar up right and straight, which pulls the bottom lip up and two more cables. Then joins to another joining block to convert back to one cable. All easy stuff.
Anyway, most of the kids that ride BMX around here have no brakes, wel unless the foot counts as one:laugh:

No one commented on the spelling of 'tires' for someone from the UK?;) You seem very American to me.

Sorry man, stoned and couldn't be assed to press backspace! ;) It was still simple to understand right?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Indeed, you get what i put?
All simple stuff, just need to get the stuff for it. Self explanitary to fit them.
You know road bikes are much better;)

Young Un

i love my bmx - its a 24" inch wheel one, designed for the 4X racin i think,

it lives at my holiday home as its jsut too hilly to ride it round here,

it defines cycling, the more work you put it the better the result is:

you can spend all day on it just pissin about with mates,

or when you want to go fast (like i do esp, when there are speed bumps) and pedal your guts out it dont half shift

heres me with about 50m or less of run up on a speed bumps about 7 or 8 cm high,

dp2.jpg

ps i am fully in the air;)

Top Bottom