Fitting my road bike to turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
15F18AF7-FA95-462F-BB74-33F6582850D4.png

I’m going to go down the second wheel route rather than buying another bike!

Does this look ok for a turbo wheel? 700c, 8 speed cassette, 11-32T which, even though I don’t know what that means, is the same as the one on the GT Traffic 1.0. There are even cheaper ones on eBay, not sure how much I need to spend.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Although what is the difference between a cassette hub and a freewheel?

Nebulous

Guru
What bike are you wanting the wheel for?

That is a quick release wheel and wont fit your cube, which needs a thru-axle. If you want to use your cube you need to buy an adapter for the turbo.

Is your hybrid 8 speed? If so that wheel should work, as long as your hybrid has Shimano gears and the same size wheels as a road bike. I don't think you've said what your hybrid is, and that word covers a range of different bikes. You could then fit a turbo tyre to that wheel and just swap the wheel on your hybrid when you wanted to use it on the road.

Edit - sorry just noticed you said its a GT1.0 That wheel and cassette would fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The one I linked to says in the description ‘Not suitable for 700c hybrid’ so I phoned. Guy said I should buy another wheel that when I looked has a freewheel. On the description for the GT Traffic 1.0 2016, it states it has a Formula Disc 32h Freehub. I might just buy a new bike:laugh:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I’m in Edinburgh tomorrow and have an hour or two, so my plan is to pop in to an Edinburgh cycle shop with the rear wheel from my bike and say: Geez another one of these please?

What is the best Edinburgh bike shop for such an adventure?

I’m in Edinburgh tomorrow and have an hour or two, so my plan is to pop in to an Edinburgh cycle shop with the rear wheel from my bike and say: Geez another one of these please?

What is the best Edinburgh bike shop for such an adventure?
I've been out of Edinburgh a while but the Edinburgh Co-operative on Buntsfield links has the biggest stock and most staff/mechanics. There other shops near by too in the unlikely event they can't help out.

Top Bottom