Fitting new tubeless tyres to new tubeless rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
First time fitting tubeless, trying to get my continental gp5000 TLR tyres (25mm) onto my new hunt superdura wheels. I can't get the tyre over the rim fully at all. It's already shaving plastic off my Xtools tyre levers and I'm worried I'll break something if I force it any harder.

I'm using one level to keep the tyre steady whilst I try and get the bead over the rim with the other lever, but it just won't budge. When i remove the holding lever the tyre just pops up further round the wheel.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Make sure as much of both beads are in the well of the rim. You'l constantly need to check. But GP5000 have been mentioned as PIA to fit.

I fitted GP5000's earlier this week onto Easton SL's, a liberal dose of chalk dust to the tight tyre bead area either side of the valve did the job, oh, and some brute force, crikey they are tight!

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I fitted GP5000's earlier this week onto Easton SL's, a liberal dose of chalk dust to the tight tyre bead area either side of the valve did the job, oh, and some brute force, crikey they are tight!
Any old chalk dust? Would using some of the sealant as a lubricant do the same trick?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From the very beginning as you start with the tyre on the rim, pull to create some slack as you work further around. I fitted 5000TL to Hunt 4 seasons a few months ago and whilst they were tight it was not a huge problem at all.

@livpoksoc .... look! And I didn't break my thumb like the other CC'er :okay:

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Ok so front wheel on, bit of a wrestle but got there. Rear wheel is being a little b...

Colin S

Über Member
I used soapy water when I fitted my GP5000 TL. They are certainly tight but it is possible to get them on.
On the plus side they seal great and I managed to inflate them to seal with a track pump 1st time.

C

boydj

Legendary Member
I rode mine on non-tubeless rims with tubes for a couple of weeks, and still had to get the lbs to get them mounted on Mavic tubeless rims. They've since been off and re-fitted by myself, but getting them mounted without disturbing the tubeless rim tape is a real pain.

Top Bottom