Fitting New Tyres Has Cost Me A Fortune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
Aye, monitoring and replacing chains is really simple.
I have graduated to replacing cassettes and cranks this year.
Gonna try jokey wheels next, already done a gear hanger.
Sometimes the hardest bit is to know what to buy, but one can always ask on here, guaranteed to get an answer within minutes complete of a relevant link :okay:

''Tis true,someone always knows the way.
A lot of Jedi bike masters on here ^_^

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
IRO getting nasty surprises about parts wearing or worn, I am a great believer in maintenance and cleaning to be done often and by a large, little. This means you get to know all areas of your bike intimately, and be able to spot and cure most problems, before they become problems. The forces put through the drive train on any bike are immense, and so wear is going to be happening just the same on a ride to the paper shop on a Sunday morning, as well as on the 70km outing on your day of rest. Unless maintenance and lubrication is taken seriously, these wear issues will happen all the sooner. As far as the LBS network is concerned, I would much rather deal with a back street one man band that a large chain store outlet, but agree that some of the prices charged in both types of outlet are so varied that shopping around is a must. I am lucky enough to have enough time and understanding of bikes that I undertake all my own maintenance, but if you need a third party to undertake that work, its not unreasonable to expect to pay the going rates. I know that some tasks will have knock on effects on other areas, but I believe they have only advised that additional jobs are required, not gone ahead and done unauthorised work. My advice would be to make sure you get a quote for the job you put the bike in for, and leave a contact number so that if any other difficulties are discovered, you want a call to discuss them, before any extra work is undertaken. ( Or learn to do it yourself ) :okay:

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
IRO getting nasty surprises about parts wearing or worn, I am a great believer in maintenance and cleaning to be done often and by a large, little. This means you get to know all areas of your bike intimately, and be able to spot and cure most problems, before they become problems. The forces put through the drive train on any bike are immense, and so wear is going to be happening just the same on a ride to the paper shop on a Sunday morning, as well as on the 70km outing on your day of rest. Unless maintenance and lubrication is taken seriously, these wear issues will happen all the sooner. As far as the LBS network is concerned, I would much rather deal with a back street one man band that a large chain store outlet, but agree that some of the prices charged in both types of outlet are so varied that shopping around is a must. I am lucky enough to have enough time and understanding of bikes that I undertake all my own maintenance, but if you need a third party to undertake that work, its not unreasonable to expect to pay the going rates. I know that some tasks will have knock on effects on other areas, but I believe they have only advised that additional jobs are required, not gone ahead and done unauthorised work. My advice would be to make sure you get a quote for the job you put the bike in for, and leave a contact number so that if any other difficulties are discovered, you want a call to discuss them, before any extra work is undertaken. ( Or learn to do it yourself ) :okay:

Noted,and I have done the work myself :thumbsup:.
I took my wheel into work as my gaffer (a former MTBer with a classic 93 Pine Mountain )said he would order bearings in from his supplier.
Total cost ?
20 mins of my lunch break.
I also bought a BB tool,and discovered that the left side was a bit loose but not overly loose.I took it all out anyway as the inside was a bit gungey so I wiped it down,regreased it and tightened it up .
Hey presto,I have a fully functioning bike again.
Note to self:biggrin:on't panic when your LBS puts on a concerned face,as you may find that doing your own maintenance,with a few tips from others,can save you a fortune.
I realise these guys have to make money,it's what it's all about.
But when you discover that the sealed bearings you need are £3.19,you have to question the mark up of their prices.I mean ,do the math.
Also interesting is the place in Gloucester could sell me them for £6 each(retail)so £12 altogether.
Yep,you learn a lot and I will be doing my own maintenance from now on.:thumbsup:
Edit -FWIW,my LBS wanted £20 plus labour to replace my bearings,so fark knows how much they would have tried to wangle for tightening and cleaning a BB :ohmy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
It costs a lot of money to run a business, without doing so you may be suprised how much. I get mythed sometimes when the 5 minute job I charge £45 for is questioned.

Also noted.
But maybe someone (maybe yourself) can explain to me why the difference in price is so great between Gloucester and Lanarkshire ? :smile:
Bearing in mind that the one in Gloucester is a small business too.And bearing in mind my LBS can run two shops.

screenman

Legendary Member
Also noted.
But maybe someone (maybe yourself) can explain to me why the difference in price is so great between Gloucester and Lanarkshire ? :smile:
Bearing in mind that the one in Gloucester is a small business too.And bearing in mind my LBS can run two shops.

So many reasons, costs vary from one too the other. Many small businesses are running at a loss or very little return to the owner, of course this is poor practise, but some do not know better.

My friends small bike shop cost over £70 per hour to keep open.

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae
So many reasons, costs vary from one too the other. Many small businesses are running at a loss or very little return to the owner, of course this is poor practise, but some do not know better.

My friends small bike shop cost over £70 per hour to keep open.

Understood @screenman .
You as a businessman will know better than I what it takes to run your own.
I'm just glad I stopped being lazy and got things sorted.

lpretro1

Also noted.
Business rates are extortionate vary considerable - I would hazard a guess that they will be less north of the border than down south. Any retail premises probably needs to be earning £20-25K just to open the business every day - only after that will any profit be made. Shops down in SE can get away with charging £35 per hour upwards - round my neck of the woods £20-25 per hour is prob average...

screenman

Legendary Member
Business rates are extortionate vary considerable - I would hazard a guess that they will be less north of the border than down south. Any retail premises probably needs to be earning £20-25K just to open the business every day - only after that will any profit be made. Shops down in SE can get away with charging £35 per hour upwards - round my neck of the woods £20-25 per hour is prob average...

That would be without paying any wages out I would imagine.

OP
OP
MarquisMatsugae

There is that to consider I agree.
I think I was having a moan in general.
Spending money brings that side out in me .
^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Spending money brings that side out in me .
^_^
Well done on the bike mechanic learning @MarquisMatsugae!
I ended up with 4 bikes in 3 years because I could not find the time to get the broken ones fixed - I work weird shifts - so most probably spent more than you, now though they are all fully functional, jobs done by myself in my days off, with the help of this forum and of You Tube.
Redundant bits bought by mistake went to the local bike charity :angel:

Top Bottom