Fitting new Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys, I just purchase a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus for my bike to replace the tyres the bike came with originally.

All the numbers on the tyres match up, however, upon trying to fit the Marathon Plus tyres, they just seem way too big. I can fold one side of the tyre in, however, it seems impossible to get the other side in.

Is there something basic I'm missing or might I have the wrong size tyres?

IMG_1168.JPG
IMG_1169.JPG

Ajax Bay

Guru
No - they are just a nightmare to fit. Search for the Marathon Plus fitting thread(s!) on here. You want to try it after 100+ miles with an hour to go and the sun close to setting on Day 4 of LEJOG. Got it on in the end (a 28) but sweat and scrapes.
Edit: @PpPete has given you the video. Got to get the bead opposite where you're trying to get the last sector on, down in the rim to give you those extra mm. I used my teeth to clamp the first part of the second rim in. Someone will say 'talc': I'd say lever (as well).

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru

Globalti

Legendary Member
Take 'em to a shop? You're 'avin' a larf!

Just sprinkle the beads liberally with talc and they'll slip on nice and easy.

Col5632

Guru
I had the same problem fitting my GP4000S II's, I think its just because they havent been on a wheel yet, I usually try to get one side in first and the other follows :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Have i purchased the worst possible tyres for fitting?
No...i have.

Just use a tyre lever...i know, I know all the pros will tell you that's a noob mistake but for race, ir super tight tyres, its the simplest option. Ensure the tube is pushed well out the way while the tyre is still lose enough to do so...then lever away.

I hate myself for offering this advice but its the only way...you will kill a few tubes catching them with the levers but will, with practise, mitigate this, with skin saved from your hands and time/grief relieved.

Top Bottom