Fitting tyres aesthetically on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuUngar

Are there any rules or accepted standards to do this in relation to the valve or decals on the wheel?

Usually I just fit em so that the recommended PSI is next to the valve as I am too lazy to have to look for it.

Obviously this is complete vanity and all I am interested in how it looks!

Have a 6 wheel tyre swap / fitting to get on with and 4 of them I will just stick with my lazy PSI finder method but for my best wheels I want them to look more professional so am willing to spin the wheel to find out the PSI

Any ideas?

Cheers

The PSI figure printed on the tyre is usually the maximum safe tolerance, not really a recommendation for how much air to put in. Realistically, you should be inflating your tyres to a figure depending on your bodyweight, the type of riding you do and the type of roads you are riding on.

Aesthetically, I usually line up the lettering so it sits above the valve, but there's no practical reason for doing it.

tmesis

You learn something new every day. Until now, I had never even considered the merits of lining up the tyres with the wheels, except for the rotational direction.

Svendo

Guru
Logo in line with valve. The Michelin Pro4 Race I fitted a short while ago conveniently have a seam where the logos on each side match, which was handy as they no longer match at the 'O' in Pro like I seem to remember the Pro3s used to.
This is done to make sure the comments when you post a pic of the bike focus on the position of the pedals, curtains in the background etc. and not your tyres positioning on the rim. This is, of course, very important.

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

Makes things easier to find punctures in inner tubes. Check tyre, then check inner.

This is probably the way my thinking will now go. Makes sense - luckily I haven't suffered too many punctures - so will no doubt get a visit from the puncture fairy.

The PSI figure printed on the tyre is usually the maximum safe tolerance, not really a recommendation for how much air to put in. Realistically, you should be inflating your tyres to a figure depending on your bodyweight, the type of riding you do and the type of roads you are riding on.

Aesthetically, I usually line up the lettering so it sits above the valve, but there's no practical reason for doing it.

Yes realise this about the PSI - it is just that I run various different sizes and as I have said - I am too lazy to spin and search the wheels. Never run any tyres at full max recommended - too fat!

Logo in line with valve. The Michelin Pro4 Race I fitted a short while ago conveniently have a seam where the logos on each side match, which was handy as they no longer match at the 'O' in Pro like I seem to remember the Pro3s used to.
This is done to make sure the comments when you post a pic of the bike focus on the position of the pedals, curtains in the background etc. and not your tyres positioning on the rim. This is, of course, very important.

Very important. Posted a pic on another forum with bike in gear that I need to get off and out on. Unsurprisingly that wasn't big chainring. Treated like a kitten drowner.

Good site, bookmarked. The rules is the rules.

Wonder if there is a rule that says you should NEVER wear full team kit unless you actually ride for that team.... Off to check.

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

in which case, I don't really understand why you said you need to refer to the max pressure rating?
Really?

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

You've misunderstood. I run various different sizes & manufacturers whose max PSI differs. Usually the max PSI is hidden or hard to see / find therefore I put that info next to the valve so I don't need to search for it.

I can then quickly adjust the gauge on the track pump to ensure I don't go over the max. It is pure laze & convenience hence why I am asking for a different method.

Maybe if manufacturers put the recommended PSI as clear as their branding I wouldn't need to do this.

You've misunderstood. I run various different sizes & manufacturers whose max PSI differs. Usually the max PSI is hidden or hard to see / find therefore I put that info next to the valve so I don't need to search for it.

I can then quickly adjust the gauge on the track pump to ensure I don't go over the max. It is pure laze & convenience hence why I am asking for a different method.

Maybe if manufacturers put the recommended PSI as clear as their branding I wouldn't need to do this.

But - as I said in my first reply - the number on the side of the tyre is NOT a recommended pressure. Rather, it is the rated maximum safe pressure that the carcass can withstand without the risk of it blowing apart. In reality, the safe maximum is almost certainly higher than the number on the tyre, but it doesn't alter the fact that the number should NOT be used as a guide on how much air to put in your tyres for general riding. Just because the tyre is rated to 160psi, for example, does not mean that is the pressure you should be using - or anything close to it.

Like I said - correct pressure is always going to be a compromise between your weight, the tyre's volume and the type of riding you do - but that's something you need to work out for yourself, through experimentation.

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

But - as I said in my first reply - the number on the side of the tyre is NOT a recommended pressure. Rather, it is the rated maximum safe pressure that the carcass can withstand without the risk of it blowing apart. In reality, the safe maximum is almost certainly higher than the number on the tyre, but it doesn't alter the fact that the number should NOT be used as a guide on how much air to put in your tyres for general riding. Just because the tyre is rated to 160psi, for example, does not mean that is the pressure you should be using - or anything close to it.

Like I said - correct pressure is always going to be a compromise between your weight, the tyre's volume and the type of riding you do - but that's something you need to work out for yourself, through experimentation.

I still don't understand what your point is. The question is about aesthetics of fitting a tyre in relation to valve, rim decals etc. I think it has confused you because I have mentioned how I do it and that has mentioned PSI.

The question isn't about how to pump a tyre up - it's about what way to fit it visually.

Thanks for the response though.

Top Bottom