Fitting tyres aesthetically on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Holy PSI debate Batman!

As I read it, the OP understands that the number on the sidewall is the maximum to which you should go. Nowt wrong with that, so surely going into the technicalities of ideal pressure really isn't an issue?

All he wants is for his wheels to look good.

harly

Ha ha it aint sinkin in

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense. ........... How could it?

:wacko: I am trying to point out that if you have absolutely no idea what pressure to put in your tyres then checking the max to make sure you aren't unintentionally about to make your tyres go POP by inserting double the recommendation is probably a good starting point..... simples! It isn't rocket science.

:wacko: I am trying to point out that if you have absolutely no idea what pressure to put in your tyres then checking the max to make sure you aren't unintentionally about to make your tyres go POP by inserting double the recommendation is probably a good starting point..... simples! It isn't rocket science.

If he has absolutely no idea, then perhaps he could ask - or just take on-board what myself and sreten wrote earlier. Like you said - it's not rocket science.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And let's not start a debate about how the heck do you know if the pressure gauge on your pump is accurate or not!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The PSI figure printed on the tyre is usually the maximum safe tolerance, not really a recommendation for how much air to put in. Realistically, you should be inflating your tyres to a figure depending on your bodyweight, the type of riding you do and the type of roads you are riding on.

Aesthetically, I usually line up the lettering so it sits above the valve, but there's no practical reason for doing it.

Serves as a good reference point when sorting punctures!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Also Dusty is correct re the max tyre pressure not being the recommended tyre pressure! Pumping your tyres up super hard can in fact slow you down, reduce grip and adversely effect rider comfort!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
To answer the original question from the OP, align the tire trademark with the valve stem so you can find punctures and problems readily. May have nothing to do with appearance, but nothing is quite so fetching in appearance as a bicycle rolling down the road.

sreten

Hi,

FWIW the best pressures to put in a tyre if you are clueless and average weight
is the middle of the tyres stated pressure range, its not more complicated.

Lower if light, higher if heavy is not complicated either on as basic level.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
my general rule of thumb being a powerful chap at 96kg is that on my thin race tyres such as pro4 i run them at about 5-10 PSI below there max rate. Works for me, doubt i could run them less and not get snake bite punctures. However I have read elsewhere running tubeless might not be such a hassle after all!

U

User6179

my general rule of thumb being a powerful chap at 96kg is that on my thin race tyres such as pro4 i run them at about 5-10 PSI below there max rate. Works for me, doubt i could run them less and not get snake bite punctures. However I have read elsewhere running tubeless might not be such a hassle after all!

Being of similar weight as you, you wont have much option to run a 23c tyre or less at a psi much lower than the max recommended , maybe a little lower on the front, I found 25c tyres a lot better for comfort with no loss of speed and only about 20 grams heavier plus a lot easier to get them pumped up with the mini pump when you puncture:smile:

Top Bottom