Fitting tyres aesthetically on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

Holy PSI debate Batman!

As I read it, the OP understands that the number on the sidewall is the maximum to which you should go. Nowt wrong with that, so surely going into the technicalities of ideal pressure really isn't an issue?

All he wants is for his wheels to look good.

LOL - That's about it - not sure how to make it any clearer. Wheels looking good but picked up a few tips as to WHY it might be worthwhile lining up graphics - mainly sourcing a puncture.

Generally run my tyres NEAR the max PSI and has worked for me in regards to not getting punctures which is my main consideration - NOT comfort.

In 2 years and quite a few thousand miles I have had a slow cut puncture, a pinch flat & a tyre split down the seams after under 50 miles - that was a Schwalbe Blizzard - manufacturing defect.

As far as I am concerned none of them were anything to do with incorrectly pumping the tyres up! Amusing anyhow...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
another thread gone totally off topic by the few who like to argument over something and nothing -

i think the thread was asking how do i line up my tyres aesthetically, then the usual people come bounding in and change the thread completely

ah well

Generally run my tyres NEAR the max PSI and has worked for me in regards to not getting punctures which is my main consideration - NOT comfort.

In 2 years and quite a few thousand miles I have had a slow cut puncture, a pinch flat & a tyre split down the seams after under 50 miles - that was a Schwalbe Blizzard - manufacturing defect.

As far as I am concerned none of them were anything to do with incorrectly pumping the tyres up! Amusing anyhow...

So you say your tyre pressures work in terms of you not getting punctures - and then you go on to say that you have had three in the last two years? By comparison, in the same time frame, I have had zero punctures - through running my tires at the correct pressure ;)

jowwy

So you say your tyre pressures work in terms of you not getting punctures - and then you go on to say that you have had three in the last two years? By comparison, in the same time frame, I have had zero punctures - through running my tires at the correct pressure ;)
leave it go dusty - this thread was never about tyre pressures in the first place

AndyRM

XOXO
No it wasn't. And he said he understood that the PSI number was a maximum tolerance rather than a recommendation in his second post. For reasons that I really don't understand, you decided to bang out about recommended tyre pressure...

No it wasn't. And he said he understood that the PSI number was a maximum tolerance rather than a recommendation in his second post. For reasons that I really don't understand, you decided to bang out about recommended tyre pressure...

All of the quotes below suggest that he is using the number on the tyre as a guide to his inflation pressure - or do you not agree? Actually, don't answer that, I can't be arsed.

Usually I just fit em so that the recommended PSI is next to the valve as I am too lazy to have to look for it.

I run various different sizes & manufacturers whose max PSI differs. Usually the max PSI is hidden or hard to see / find therefore I put that info next to the valve so I don't need to search for it.

I can then quickly adjust the gauge on the track pump to ensure I don't go over the max

Why is it not good practice to read the max PSI recommendation, adjust the gauge to the max and then pump the tyre to within those tolerances?

AndyRM

XOXO
You said:

The PSI figure printed on the tyre is usually the maximum safe tolerance, not really a recommendation for how much air to put in.

He responded:

Yes realise this about the PSI

jowwy

The thread is not about PSI of tyres - if you want to discuss that, start a new thread and don't destroy yet another one for your own benefits of being argumentative

Kev Deeley

Regular
Hi guys. I'm a member of a few forums but this is my first post on this one so be gentle with me. First off I've enjoyed the banter on this post. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask a question which is related to this subject.
I've just bought a Boardman Team Carbon road bike with 700 x 23c tyres fitted with a max psi of 120 printed on the side wall. Now I'm about 65kg (10.5 stone) and do recreational road riding in local country roads in Worcester. I was told by Halfords (who I was very impressed with before we get into that one) to use 110psi but when I complained that the floor stand pump I bought from them blew the presto valve off at 80psi they told me that "they all do that and 80 psi is what I should be using". I thought it was 110psi?? So for the type of riding I do what Psi would you recommend. Cheers all.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Hi guys. I'm a member of a few forums but this is my first post on this one so be gentle with me. First off I've enjoyed the banter on this post. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask a question which is related to this subject.
I've just bought a Boardman Team Carbon road bike with 700 x 23c tyres fitted with a max psi of 120 printed on the side wall. Now I'm about 65kg (10.5 stone) and do recreational road riding in local country roads in Worcester. I was told by Halfords (who I was very impressed with before we get into that one) to use 110psi but when I complained that the pump I bought a pump off them blew the presto valve off at 80psi they told me that "they all do that and 80 psi is what I should be using". I thought it was 110psi?? So for the type of riding I do what Psi would you recommend. Cheers all.
they're talking bollocks. a decent track pump should do up to 140psi if the tyre can take it (and the valve isn't too shiny).

don't scrimp on a track pump; i spent £25 on a track pump in the early 2000s and it's still going strong and is possibly the best £25 i've ever spent…

Kev Deeley

Regular
That was quick thanks!! I bought their own pump at £19.99 but it's on their web site at £39.98 so it should be ok. However what about my psi which is what I'm more concerned about.

Top Bottom