Fitting tyres aesthetically on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

That was quick thanks!! I bought their own pump at £19.99 but it's on their web site at £39.98 so it should be ok. However what about my psi which is what I'm more concerned about.

A decent track pump should get you a lot higher than 80psi - they certainly don't 'all do that'. Having said that, at 65kg, somewhere between 80-90psi for a 23c tyre would not be too far out in terms of ideal pressure - at least as a starting point. But, the pump is either not being fitted on the valve correctly, or it is not particularly good...

I'd go for the fact the pump isn't seated properly on the valve and anyone that works in a bike shop and tells you they all blow off at that pressure isn't worth giving money to.

Kev Deeley

Regular
Thanks guys. All good advice. Coming from an engineering background I tend to be a little too mechanically sympathetic and never over tighten or force things. Therefore I'm thinking that I haven't seated the valve properly. It is plastic and it didn't want to break it on its first outing.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
In all my years of riding I've not noticed how the tyre logos are aligned until checking them just now after reading this thread. On my sample bike, the front was right smack over the valve. The rear was exactly opposite. Works for me.

As for pressure, inflate to the maximum – then a little more to show it who's boss.

sreten

As for pressure, inflate to the maximum – then a little more to show it who's boss.

Hi,

That is a very wrong way of setting optimum tyre pressures,
unless you are very heavy and have too skinny tyres.

Good pressures depend on the load and the tyre size (width).
Front is usually around 15% less than the rear.

rgds, sreten.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Hi,
That is a very wrong way of setting optimum tyre pressures

Of course it is. Now excuse me while I go pump it up some more. If it pops that means I've won.

(Sorry. I know this is probably meant to be a serious board. But it didn't seem to be an entirely serious thread, so...)

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

Here's a pic, pumped up right (I think) - unfortunately the aesthetics aren't great due to that massive long valve!

Oh well, getting there! Come on, admit it - that's proper tidy that is. BTW there is a directional arrow on Gatorskins - 1-12 inches away from the logo on one side, can't remember. It's very easy possible to find with a torch and good eyesight!

RS 500 rear.jpg
Gatorskin.jpg

Last edited:
U

User6179

Here's a pic, pumped up right (I think) - unfortunately the aesthetics aren't great due to that massive long valve!

Oh well, getting there! Come on, admit it - that's proper tidy that is. BTW there is a directional arrow on Gatorskins - 1-12 inches away from the logo on one side, can't remember. It's very easy to find with a torch and good eyesight!

View attachment 32128 View attachment 32129

Not centred on the R :whistle:

Personally I would of put it above the Shimano sticker .:smile:

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

Not centred on the R :whistle:

Personally I would of put it above the Shimano sticker .:smile:

I know, it's kept me up but not as much as that long valve and worrying about whether I have been using the correct PSI. I have been having nightmares about whether I have inflated my tyres correctly.

Now I have to deal with the abuse of not lining up my tyres correctly. It's a hard life!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The practical point of locating the logo over the valve is to give you a reference point in case of a puncture. If you are careful you can quickly relate the position of any perforation/damage/flint/thorn etc in the tyre to the tube. If you line up the logo with the Shimano sticker this would not be as straightforward. Line up the logo with the valve.

OP
OP
StuUngar

StuUngar

The practical point of locating the logo over the valve is to give you a reference point in case of a puncture. If you are careful you can quickly relate the position of any perforation/damage/flint/thorn etc in the tyre to the tube. If you line up the logo with the Shimano sticker this would not be as straightforward. Line up the logo with the valve.

I will not!

I like the logo more or less equidistant. Depending on how resilient they are hopefully I won't be needing to change tubes often.

Can't you tell that by using a long valve tube & being just off the R in "Gatorskin" in reality I'm not too bothered about the aesthetics.

Good laugh on this thread though. Still not sure if inflated right though - any guides?

Top Bottom