Fixed/SS from Evans on ctw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
IMO, the Charge bikes are not so much ugly, but the finish is not very durable on the painted ones (not sure about the chrome ones) and the geometry looks (dont know the facts on this one) fairly slack!

I prefer proper track bike geometries, high BB and fairly tight angles, I like the twitchy handling!

If you have mine near anything solid it virtually instantly picks up a scratch. Not durable at all.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
still mooning at the Evans site, mental day today

those Viva Pistas look nice online, any good?

henryst

If its any help - I bought a charge plug and changed the wheels and bars and took off the back brake. I love it...... but I wish I'd bought the langster!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
hmm

After dithering backwards and forwards, I rode for a while with a nice young lady on some sort of fixed tearing through Hackney impressively, she loved it she said and it's tipped me back over

to find the Paddywagon 2011 is now bloody discontinued ffs, couple of small sizes left, very annoyed, discontinued in bloody June

I want regular drops, I think, and regular brakes and I don't really want to be spending money changing something, budget init, those requirements really narrow the field down, I'm rather used to steel now too

I very strongly suspect that I won't be fixed ready for DD, nice idea though that I dallied with for all of a second

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, first off, the Langster does look ok

second, I upped my budget and looked at everything Evans offer, some I really liked, but what is the obsession with side pull brakes, am i right to think that they're inferior in every single way to what i think of as normal brakes, just pose value?

It's a fair bit of shag to convert that to regular drops levers isn't, anyone care to float a figure?

and I'm used to carbon forks now, are steel forks, for example going to be much rougher? I remember all alu frames to this day, granted a cheapish hybrid

are the odd looking drops trendy track drops and not nice to ride?

and does 'tight geometry' again mean race/track geometry, ie nippy but not as comfy over a distance?

in fairness this is liable to be for commute so less than an hour

stevevw

Guru
Have a look at the Coopers they are British after all. The T100 Sebring has Bull horn bars which I had for a long time on the Bianchi, they work well. Just changed back to drops using an old GB handle bar that I had in the shed new bar tape £10 a pair of brake levers (Shimano Aero with cable under the tape) £20 and reused the brake cable. so cost me £30 but I could have done it for free as I have loads of old Weinmann levers and could have re used the tape. So I suppose what I am saying if you like I could put drops on your nice new bike for you for next to nothing. You would have to ride it over to me though or you could ask Rox and Greg to pick you up :whistle:

http://www.cooperbikes.com/road-bikes.html

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I had a long look at the Coopers and liked them other than bars, sometimes, and side pull brakes

I'm forgetting that there's no gear changer in there, that's it's just a brake lever, doh, the drops lever would pull as least as much cable as sidepulls I suppose

So take the side pulls off, fit regular brakes and retape, simple as that, thanks for clarifying that for my idiot mind, bar the taping perhaps, I can do that surely

tres droll on the Rox/Greg quip at any other time that now where they're scandalously abandoning riders in need to the mercy of the cold dark Essex/Suffolk countryside

your offer of free is very kind, I like free/next to nothing, but I suspect this one is hopefully too simple and cheap to haul out into Hertfordshire unless there was a bbq and beers or something :whistle:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
cooper-t100-spa-2011-single-speed-road-bike.jpg

Cooper T100 Spa 2011 Single Speed Road Bike

that's looking very good to me at this moment in time, is there anything not to like there?

deep section rims a bit poncey but I love that frame, steel init, no mention of the rear cog, is 42t chain ring a bit weedy?

ah, 16t rear cog

Domeo

I ride 42:16 into town from around the corner from you and it pretty does all that I need. I roll along at 18-20mph and can do the odd sprint up to 28/29mph with a rack pack.:thumbsup: I struggle up to Finsbury Park some days if I'm really tired.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
As an idea on that gearing here is the cadence to speed figures running 700 x 23's on a 42 x 16 set up

Cadance Speed
90 18.5
100 20.6
110 22.63
120 24.69
130 26.75

I have always been a grinder rather than a spinner and run on a 48 x 16 setup
which seems to work best for me

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
cool, thanks, roll at 20 with ability to get up to 28 is all i want, Bow flyover is my 'hill' so not anticipating an hill issues

cheap and easy to change the rear cog i assume

hmm thanks for that 4f, start with that and a cog extra might be the thing, I'm a grinder that tries to do cadence, nearly succeeding, I think my action and smoothness etc etc could use improvement

early finish today to go camping with the beaver scouts (and parents), get after Evans on Monday for test ride

stevevw

Guru
cooper-t100-spa-2011-single-speed-road-bike.jpg

Cooper T100 Spa 2011 Single Speed Road Bike

that's looking very good to me at this moment in time, is there anything not to like there?

deep section rims a bit poncey but I love that frame, steel init, no mention of the rear cog, is 42t chain ring a bit weedy?

ah, 16t rear cog

Nice but spend a bit more and get the 531 frame on the T200 and benefit from 44 - 16 gearing and silver chain wheel. I also prefere the Mavic rims on the T200. Should be bomb proof even for you ;)

Tynan in Beaver shock horror :unsure:

Top Bottom