Fixed/SS from Evans on ctw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Hello all

I've been riding a decent regular bike the ten miles into work for a few years and enjoy it very much

CTW has just started here and it's so silly cheap even a poor cheapstake like me is pondering a second bike

I'll always pondered a SS/Fixie for the idea of making person a better rider and being fun, my route is almost flat barring the Bow flyover and some weedy slope and I do have a tendency to start in lower gears than I should, and a spare bike would be handy

Soooo, what would you recommend as a proper honest working bike from Evans, none of that la de dah pixie nonsense, proper man's serious bike for commuting, although smart is ok

And what gearing, most days I like to at least try and ride at 20mph ish barring some 15mph slogging when I'm not in the mood/headwind/Friday, I'd like to be able to get up to 25mph if someone goes past me that fast, I've seen the odd bloke on my route tearing along at that speed on a single speed

Sub £500 would be nice but higher might be alright if it's worth it

Thank-you

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you want a bomb proof fixed wheel bike, I'd go with a Fuji track, Kona Paddywagon or a Charge (some variation on the Plug, all the same frame just different finishing kit). They are all cheapish, relativelly ugly but will take everyday commuting style abuse.

I've only recently sold my Fuji Track and for a basic workhorse at a good price (dont let the low price make you think its a lesser bike, its cheaper because it comes without brakes), I'd say its ideal. The stock gearing on mine was 48:15, I think they changed it to 46:15 on the newer ones. IMO, this gearing should be fine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Charge Plug of some sort (I've got one. Does what it says on the tin but mine now runs a SA S2C 2 speed hub)
Bianchi Pista Via Condotti (dribble)
Kona Paddy Wagon (they've got 2010 54cm is well cheap)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thanks gents, that gives me a start before i go in and bumble around

54cm will not only be well cheap but well small, sadly

Cooper is a bit over budget, Charge a bit ugly

The Paddywagon I like the look of plenty

Cheers gents, I'll go and eyeball tomorrow

stevevw

Guru
I am about to sell my Bianchi Pista if you are interested in a proper fixed gear bike :biggrin:

Will be in London tomorrow night on it if you want to have a look. Sorry but i do not take CTW vouchers ;)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I don't actually have any money and tbh don't honestly need another bike, the scheme is just so ludicrously cheap

The thought took root originally to buy a cheap SS and then add on lots of extras to sort me for clothing, kits and even a new chainset for the main bike

otherwise I'd be very interested, sorry

what does 'proper' mean anyway?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I looked at getting a ss/fg from Evans but decided against it as try don't do a bike with all the bosses. Gone for a Pearson touché instead.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Dolan do a fixed model called the FXE its the same as a pre-cursa (if you go your local track you will see tonnes of these) but with all of the bosses etc for a rack, not sure if they do cycle to work etc, might be able to since they are a pretty big UK brand. Might be a bit over budget though, can only remember the frameset for sale, but they do complete bikes too.

Woz!

The Charge Plug Racer isn't ugly!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I looked at getting a ss/fg from Evans but decided against it as try don't do a bike with all the bosses. Gone for a Pearson touché instead.

That Paddywagon has boses for two bottle plus guard points doesn;t it?

I'm seeing orange rims in a lot of pictures, yikes

ah older models, black and silver for 2011

mightyquin

I'm very happy with my Paddy Wagon. I'd say go and try a few out, and choose the one you like the look and feel of best. A mate has just bought a Charge Plug, I'm going to have a spin on it at the weekend. The Specialized Langsters are nice too.

Do it, you'll love a single speed/fixed bike!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The Charge Plug Racer isn't ugly!

IMO, the Charge bikes are not so much ugly, but the finish is not very durable on the painted ones (not sure about the chrome ones) and the geometry looks (dont know the facts on this one) fairly slack!

I prefer proper track bike geometries, high BB and fairly tight angles, I like the twitchy handling!

Top Bottom