Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Dave7, 10 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

That's advanced skillz!

2. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I do this, or in fact just stop slightly further back so my cranks are parallel to the ground (assuming I am not doing an awesome trackstand).

3. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I've alway lifted the saddle.

Milkfloat likes this.
  4. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

It occurred to me today that another thing I like about riding fixed is that because I have to go up and over the ridge, both there and back, I have two brief periods every day when I am working as hard as I possibly can. And I suspect there's a benefit to that. When I'm riding a geared bike around town I never work at my actual limit. Going uphill in particular - I'll shift down and 'spin not grind'. But if you're climbing a hill in a high fixed gear, you have to push as hard as you possibly can. (I compound it by having a thing against standing on the pedals. A cad may stand; a gentleman remains seated. If it's steeper, push harder.) And that's a particular kind of exercise, which I suspect is actually beneficial....as part of your balanced riding diet. A bit like circuit training.

Smokin Joe, Dogtrousers and smutchin like this.
  5. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I did that on my Raleigh Trent as I couldn't source the correct cables at the right time. Still fine several years later. The thing to bear in my mind is that most brakes cables today are stainless steel. You'd need to deliberately find the plain galvanised variety if you need to solder your own ends.

raleighnut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice