Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I'd love to have a go at it, but too hilly here. (single speed is hard enough)

If I lived somewhere flatter, I could see me being an avid fixie fan

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The really great thing about fixed is that both can be true at the same time.

#quantumcycling
I'll tell you again, leave the cats alone! ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm bemused by the vociferousness of some of those who don't. It's almost as if they're fearful of something.

I've ridden fixed at the velodrome where it's entirely appropriate in the same way that brakes would be dangerous. But I would hate it on the road where gears and freewheels make life so much easier, especially on my ageing knees.

If you’re cycling around all day every day for a job, having a geared bike with brakes is a chore. You tire yourself out more on a ‘conventional’ bike, because you’re acceleration / deceleration tend to be less smooth. With a fixie, you tend to find you maintain a much steadier pace. The accel / decel is what tires you out most, so the less of that you do, the better. For example, on a standard bike, you typically tend to approach a stop, freewheeling, without thinking about it, then brake to a stop, then have to start from a standstill, and have to accelerate much more sharply, than you would if you had managed to approach the same point on a fixie. You soon learn to anticipate, and avoid so many ‘dead stops’ on a fixie. The only thing I found scary with a fixie, was turning a corner on an unfamiliar stretch of road, and finding a sharp steep descent. That’s not fun.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing but I may source an appropriate rear wheel and chainset for my Dawes (which is currently my "ice tyre" bike and has been ridden once in the past 2 years) and have a play around.

You may not be missing anything - maybe it's just not for you. That's fine. Definitely worth giving it a go though, and that would be my advice to the OP - don't rule it out before having tried it, but if you've tried it and don't like it, there's no reason to persevere with it. I can understand why some people would feel a bit afraid of the idea of not being able to freewheel, or not having bail-out gears for climbs, but in truth those are two aspects of riding fixed that you get used to very quickly.

I started riding fixed at a time when I'd lost my cycling mojo and was looking for something a bit different. It really did the trick and revitalised my interest in cycling. There's a lot of pseudo-mystical guff spouted about 'feeling at one with the bike' or being more 'connected' with the road, but you can probably get that from any bike as long as it's the right bike for you.

I did find that commuting regularly on fixed did wonders for my fitness though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You mean a racing bike :hyper:

You can race on whatever bike you have

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Any more examples of artificial distinction you want to list?

In your world it would mean there is no distinction between road, mtn, recumbent, track, folding or any other type if bike. If you want to stick with "well they are just bikes" and call any other sub division artificial then you go right ahead. It is certainly one view.

iandg

Legendary Member
You mean a racing bike :hyper:

World hour record was broken on a fixed straight handlebar racing bike ;)

Obree%20and%20Old%20Faithful.jpg

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Can I get a 120mm reversible hub for (SS) freewheel plus fixed in a 622mm rim quite easily - and cheaply?
I got a pair of 630mm (27") wheels with a flip-flop hub at 120mm spacing pretty cheaply, and I'm sure I saw similar with 622mm rims too. Bought from an eBay seller last summer, but I can't remember who or any more details, sorry.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Right. For my possible summer project ... I have an 80s vintage frame with 120(???)mm forward facing dropouts. It's currently running 622mm rims (with brakes that match) and has a JP400 square taper BB with a Stronglight 50/34 double on it. At the moment I spring a 130mm rear hub w freehub/8 speed cassette into the frame.

Can I get a 120mm reversible hub for (SS) freewheel plus fixed in a 622mm rim quite easily - and cheaply? If yes, Can I adjust the placement of the sprocket to line up with one or the other of the chainrings so I don't have to faff about removing the chainset for what is likely to be a short lived experiment?
The hubs are easy to get then get it laced onto a rim,

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjv-If74KDZAhVGL8AKHRUrDkkQ9aACCDM&adurl=

iandg

Legendary Member
Right. For my possible summer project ... I have an 80s vintage frame with 120(???)mm forward facing dropouts. It's currently running 622mm rims (with brakes that match) and has a JP400 square taper BB with a Stronglight 50/34 double on it. At the moment I spring a 130mm rear hub w freehub/8 speed cassette into the frame.

Can I get a 120mm reversible hub for (SS) freewheel plus fixed in a 622mm rim quite easily - and cheaply? If yes, Can I adjust the placement of the sprocket to line up with one or the other of the chainrings so I don't have to faff about removing the chainset for what is likely to be a short lived experiment?

I'm riding these

fixed/fixed or fixed/free option

- Rear spaced 130mm, 126mm or 120mm OLN.

Top Bottom