Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are so many half-baked justifications for fixed wheel being trotted out on here that it's laughable, it looks like the cycling equivalent of a meeting of the Flat Earth Society!

iandg

Legendary Member
It's just another cycling experience. Had a fixed in my stable since 1975. Started as a winter/hack bike then I started racing track in 1977, and then used it for suitable TTs. Even out in the windy, undulating Outer Hebrides, my fastest times around 2 loops are on fixed.

I just like the simplicity and it's a ''fixed' not a 'fixie' ;)

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Fixie is fixed wheel, with narrow flat bars, usually only one brake, no mudguards, short wheel base. Fixed wheel is drop bars, two brakes, mudguards, often to be found with saddlebag, longer wheelbase.

I've always considered fixed a more traditional term and fixie a modern term that originated when urban fixed riding was made cool by hipsters and couriers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

The next step is to skip a bit of maintenance and wait for the pawls in the freehub to sieze up. Voila, a pretend fixie/ fixer/fixed wheel bike.
I've only ever rode one once as I remember, I went to work in the car, somebody wanted to buy it, so as you do I sold it, needed to get home & borrowed a friends bike that had a fixed hub, it's so long ago now I can't remember if it was intentional or knowing him it was as you say lack of maintenance & the pawls had seized. Each to their own but I didn't particularly enjoy riding it, there was no way I could spin my legs quick enough on the pedals to keep up on the hill down to my village.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Re cadence, I used to be able to get over 200, but max is about 170/80 now. Comfortable max is around 120.

When I was commuting on fixed regularly, I had a short, steep hill on my usual route where I got close to 200rpm a few times but never broke it. Very frustrating!

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm not entirely sure what I'm missing but I may source an appropriate rear wheel and chainset for my Dawes (which is currently my "ice tyre" bike and has been ridden once in the past 2 years) and have a play around.
I'm sure somebody will come along shortly saying what a great idea, then somebody will say don't bother it's not worth it, it's like an episode of the Magic Roundabout.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are so many half-baked justifications for fixed wheel being trotted out on here that it's laughable, it looks like the cycling equivalent of a meeting of the Flat Earth Society!

I'm bemused by the vociferousness of some of those who don't. It's almost as if they're fearful of something.

Top Bottom