Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Is that not made up for by the size of the wheel?
To an extent. It's where we get the concept of gear inches from. My fixed wheel bike is running a 67 inch gear, ie the equivalent of a 67 inch direct drive diameter wheel. The radius of that would be 33.5 inches. Add say seven inches for crank length and you are looking at over 40 inch inside leg, before you consider the distance between saddle and wheel. There's not many people built like that. A swift bit of googling suggests the largest size is 60 inches, ie like running a 48 tooth chain ring and 21tooth sprocket, which is quite low. I'd need something smaller, say 52 inch (42 x 21).

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Fixed is also good for keeping fit over winter.

The pleasure of it is something you either get or don't, and you only get it by learning to ride it properly.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
Never had a fixed wheel bike so can't comment but had a single speed Dmr a few years back. I only used it for the work commute so at maximum was doing a 23 mile round trip but it was fun to use! Not sure if I was any fitter for using it as I didn't cover great distances or inclines on it but a definite bonus was ease of maintenance. I think as a city bike they definitely have their use especially when your hitting red light after red light

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I only used fixed on the track (Velodrome), but I love it. I don't really see the attraction on the road, but that's probably just because I love my road bike. I only have the two bikes, and they are both wonderful in their different contexts. I do think that using the track bike, especially on rollers, can be beneficial for skills and pedalling technique, plus higher cadence cycling - my son had to do a 10 mile roller time trial with restricted gearing on his road bike - due to his track cycling he managed to average 138 rpm over the 10 miles (just over 17 minutes).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I just don't understand the concept i.e. why not have a choice of gears and be able to free wheel when you want to?

It does seem like a backwards step. I don't buy the 'ease of maintenance' angle either... i spend more time maintaining my chain and tyres than i do anything else so i can't imagine a fixie being any easier to maintain than something with plenty of gears (setting-up, maybe, ongoing maintenance, nah).

The argument about mechanical efficiency only stacks up against multi-geared bikes.
I've spent maybe 20 minutes in the last eight years maintaining my gears, and that was replacing the cable and re-indexing them. Not touched them since, apart from actually changing gear.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It does seem like a backwards step. I don't buy the 'ease of maintenance' angle either... i spend more time maintaining my chain and tyres than i do anything else so i can't imagine a fixie being any easier to maintain than something with plenty of gears (setting-up, maybe, ongoing maintenance, nah).
(Emphasis added). A fixed chain is shorter, thicker, not flexed sideways and not dangled so low down in the dirt, which all reduce maintenance... and when it is time to replace it, you don't have to thread it through the derailleur, plus there's no gear cable to maintain and replace/adjust, although that's minor.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
(Emphasis added). A fixed chain is shorter, thicker, not flexed sideways and not dangled so low down in the dirt, which all reduce maintenance... and when it is time to replace it, you don't have to thread it through the derailleur, plus there's no gear cable to maintain and replace/adjust, although that's minor.
(emphasis added) that'll save me what... three, four seconds?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
(emphasis added) that'll save me what... three, four seconds?
Depends if you get it the right side of the tab first time and if not, if you figure it out before you have to post on a forum about how noisy your bike is since you replaced the chain ;)

Like I said, that's minor. The bigger saving is maintenance.

Venod

Eh up

I've spent maybe 20 minutes in the last eight years maintaining my gears, and that was replacing the cable and re-indexing them. Not touched them since, apart from actually changing gear.

That's 20 minutes more than a fixie then, no deraileurs and if your so inclined only one brake, so less to maintain.

Top Bottom