Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maenchi

StoneDog
the idea of riding through undulating terrain with no gears ?....for me i'd be off pushing it half the time, but in a flat city ,Berlin for instance , I guess it'd be 'echt giel' and 'voll im trend'.....:okay:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
the idea of riding through undulating terrain with no gears ?....for me i'd be off pushing it half the time, but in a flat city ,Berlin for instance , I guess it'd be 'echt giel' and 'voll im trend'.....:okay:

For me, totally flat roads are worse than undulating, on a fixed-wheel. And it still surprises me what gradients I can climb, especially when grinding up the same hill another time on gears.

Alan O

Über Member
I'm (slowly and very intermittently) building one, mainly because they exist and I've never tried one. And my dad rode one many years ago, so that's another reason to have a go.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Always remember a fixie that my friend had in addition to his ten speed. It was a A.S. Gillott in pale blue, lovely bike but a nightmare to ride without brakes. I think his brother gave it to him.

colly

Re member eR
Always remember a fixie that my friend had in addition to his ten speed. It was a A.S. Gillott in pale blue, lovely bike but a nightmare to ride without brakes. I think his brother gave it to him.

Either brotherly love or sibling rivalry.

midlife

Guru
Here's my fixed, now dismantled to get the frame more "Carlton" coloured lol

file.jpg

Venod

Eh up
Never knew any club rider who put a rear brake on a fixed gear bike.

Always ride with 2 brakes on my fixed wheel bike, YukonBoys interpretation is shite, none of my fixies have seen a saddlebag a long wheelbase or narrow flat bars, fixie is a generic term for a bike with a sprocket that is fixed to the wheel, its not an hipster invention.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

To be fair, your idea of undulating (Cornwall) is probably very different from the majority of the country. Fixed is great for undulations, the free power you get going uphill is lovely.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Always ride with 2 brakes on my fixed wheel bike, YukonBoys interpretation is shite, none of my fixies have seen a saddlebag a long wheelbase or narrow flat bars, fixie is a generic term for a bike with a sprocket that is fixed to the wheel, its not an hipster invention.

Fixie has only been around as a term since the 90's. It really was used to describe a different type of fixed wheel bike to the more traditional fixed wheel. The only thing in common being the fixed wheel aspect of gearing.

Top Bottom