Fixed wheel/gears.........why ??

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Dave7, 10 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

You mean a racing bike :hyper:

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

You can race on whatever bike you have

3. User1252

User1252 Guest

Any more examples of artificial distinction you want to list?

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

In your world it would mean there is no distinction between road, mtn, recumbent, track, folding or any other type if bike. If you want to stick with "well they are just bikes" and call any other sub division artificial then you go right ahead. It is certainly one view.

5. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Given that there's nothing natural about a bike, aren't the distinctions all artificial?

6. Right. For my possible summer project ... I have an 80s vintage frame with 120(???)mm forward facing dropouts. It's currently running 622mm rims (with brakes that match) and has a JP400 square taper BB with a Stronglight 50/34 double on it. At the moment I spring a 130mm rear hub w freehub/8 speed cassette into the frame.

Can I get a 120mm reversible hub for (SS) freewheel plus fixed in a 622mm rim quite easily - and cheaply? If yes, Can I adjust the placement of the sprocket to line up with one or the other of the chainrings so I don't have to faff about removing the chainset for what is likely to be a short lived experiment?

7. User1252

User1252 Guest

In my world the different meanings you ascribed to fixed wheel bike and fixie, are nonsense. That's all.

8. No no no. I think the term is "a racer", that's different from a "racing bike". ;) ;) ;)
    :whistle:

Alan O likes this.

9. World hour record was broken on a fixed straight handlebar racing bike ;)

Obree%20and%20Old%20Faithful.jpg

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
    tyred likes this.
  10. User1252

User1252 Guest

Reasonably yes. Maybe

Dogtrousers likes this.
  11. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

I got a pair of 630mm (27") wheels with a flip-flop hub at 120mm spacing pretty cheaply, and I'm sure I saw similar with 622mm rims too. Bought from an eBay seller last summer, but I can't remember who or any more details, sorry.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
    Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. User1252

User1252 Guest

Reasonably yes. Maybe

13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

The hubs are easy to get then get it laced onto a rim,

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjv-If74KDZAhVGL8AKHRUrDkkQ9aACCDM&adurl=

Dogtrousers likes this.
  14. I'm riding these

fixed/fixed or fixed/free option

- Rear spaced 130mm, 126mm or 120mm OLN.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  15. Thanks people. It's a possible summer project. Not a terribly practical one, as I live on the slopes of the South East London Alps..

Probably nothing will come of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice