Fixie beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I agree skudupnorth mines a 2010 sc comp bought on cycle to work scheme soon realised it was too good for commuting. Carradice, I have a serious addiction,no one needs a barley and super c audax both 9 litre bags,plus nelson long flap ,panniers ,rack bags ,seat packs. I've just got a zip roll bag ,convinced myself it was in effect free , because of the coffee and cake money I saved during lock down.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Sounds like Steve Abraham. I saw him ride up a 1 in 4 hill on 86", break his handlebars with the effort, clamp them back together with a light mount and ride another 80 miles.
Yup, our Steve. I once rode a fixed 600 permanent with him, round the hillier parts of East Anglia (so not that hilly, but some inclines to grind up). I was on 67", he claimed to be on something around 90", but was comfortably ahead of me on any hill. Later that week he rang to say he'd mis-counted the teeth on a cog when preparing the bike and was actually pushing about 104".

silva

Über Member
Two saturdays ago I carried 160 roof tiles home with my fixed:

Just another day that was.
And you say you can't even ride one empty???

RichardB

Slightly retro
Do you have rear brake? Would be illegal in the UK to ride with just one brake.

Not sure that's right. My understanding is that the law requires two independent braking systems on a bike. Hence two front brakes stacked together on older trikes, for example. The rider's ability to resist the rear wheel is considered one braking system, so a single front brake on a fixed gear bike satisfies the law. I'm sure that's how it was in the 1980s when I was riding fixed, but the law may have changed since then.

Having said that, I kept my rear brake and would do so again today. You can't have too much brakes.

Sharky

Guru
Not sure that's right. My understanding is that the law requires two independent braking systems on a bike. Hence two front brakes stacked together on older trikes, for example. The rider's ability to resist the rear wheel is considered one braking system, so a single front brake on a fixed gear bike satisfies the law. I'm sure that's how it was in the 1980s when I was riding fixed, but the law may have changed since then.

Having said that, I kept my rear brake and would do so again today. You can't have too much brakes.
You are right. A fixed with front brake is legal. But the op is planning a freewheel instead of a fixed, which would be illegal with just one brake.

RichardB

Slightly retro
You are right. A fixed with front brake is legal. But the op is planning a freewheel instead of a fixed, which would be illegal with just one brake.

Of course.

Top Bottom