Fixing a door jamb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of the "fun" parts of being a carpenter is that I occasionally get asked to help fix stuff by friends and family, which is fine because obviously at some point I'll have a computer that needs fixing or something to do with electricity, which I tend to view as one step above witchcraft.

Anyway, Beautiful Wife seems to be acting as my "agent" and asked me if I can fix this in someone's apartment over the weekend:

Doorjamb_02.jpg

Doorjamb_01.jpg

The door frame is pine, thankfully, not chipboard

My plan at the moment is to remove the more obstructive splinters, put wood glue in the cracks, clamp it thoroughly, fit new screws into the frame as reinforcement, then put filler in the remaining gaps and tell the twit resident teenager (who apparently hit the door in a tantrum) to sand it down and paint it as a reminder to control his bl**dy temper in future. He's a nice kid, just hasn't realised that as a teenager he's heavier than he was last time he tried this at age ten...

Can anyone see any practical issues with this plan?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Chop it up and stick it on the fire. Make the kid work to pay off a new door...

It'll not be as secure.

No, but it's a bedroom door, not a front door, and I'll make sure I run a few extra screws into the frame and cover them so there will be extra strength. Also wood glue is a great deal more solid than people tend to think.

The main issue I can see is getting the wood to go back vaguely where it was before so I can get the door closed properly.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The main issue I can see is getting the wood to go back vaguely where it was before so I can get the door closed properly.
I think you might be on a bit of a Mission Impossible there. Can't see from the pic how badly damaged it is but looks bad. Think I'd favour chopping out the damaged section of frame and putting in a new piece of wood. A lot more work of course.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would cut off the really thin whiskery splinters and take out the old nails so you have a better chance of getting it to seat properly. Then brush in some decent glue and clamp it using spring sticks braced against the opposite jamb.

I would cut off the really thin whiskery splinters and take out the old nails so you have a better chance of getting it to seat properly. Then brush in some decent glue and clamp it using spring sticks braced against the opposite jamb.

That's the general plan at the moment: I think I'll have to risk holes and then fill them later: the fact it's pine, and painted is on my side at least: I can fill quite large holes if need be and paint over it: if it had been chipboard I'd have stood no chance...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
FFS, you're the joiner, why are you asking on here?

Plan A is perfectly reasonable and with the right glue and clamping while leaving it overnight to dry it will be at least as strong as before.
By the way, that door has been kicked in, not 'hit'! I think there's a bit more to the tale than you are being told...

Take the door off and fix it BUT do not replace it until the little oik has served some time without privacy (Xbox/WiFi/Phone etc)
Or put it back and slap the oik into the middle of next year :wacko:

Edit to add last line.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit like my son's room - we have a new blind to fit, and I need to put his 'overly heavy' light fitting back up (knocked off with VR sessions), but I'm not doing it until I can get in the room without a major trip risk. There are two live wires sticking down off the ceiling, but stuff that, if it can't be done in safety. Been two weeks now. He won't tidy (20 years old) I won't come in. :laugh:

Top Bottom