Fixing a P****ure without a kit -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

Is it possible?

I have superglue and some insulating tape... if I cut a little square of the tape and then glue it over the hole, how long do you thing this would last, if at all.

RedBike

Park patches!

k-dog

You might get away with it. The pressure of the tube against the tyre seals things pretty well.

I would reverse the tube when you put it back in so the hole isn't above the repair (unless you're really unlucky and it was geometrically opposite the valve).

Lots of times I've put the vulcanising solution on and it practically seals the hole itself so regular glue and a bit of tape should do the job.

domtyler

Über Member
There are lots of things you can do to get you out of a tight spot. For instance you can stuff the tyre full of grass and other foliage to get you home in lieu of a proper repair.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

OK, good. I'll give it ago. Got caught out today, I'm using a friends bike on my commute as mines in the shop and since his doesn't have a rack I'm using a backpack, so in trying to keep it light I have left my repair kit at work. And sods law been what it is I got the first p****ure I've had in months on my way home today, ended up having to walk the last 2 miles.

If it doesn't hold for the morning ride in I will have to get the bus and that means leaving home 20 minutes earlier than if I ride.

But I have learnt my lesson and will buy a spare kit, maybe two one for at home one at work and one in my pannier.

a clubmate came up with an almost unbeleivable story for a puncture repair.
apparently he was out on his own, punctured and found he had no spare or repair kit.he got the tyre off and found the hole, cut the tube ,didn't say what with,and tied a small knot in each end, put it back in the tyre with both ends overlapping and blew it up. got home no problem.we tried to work out where all the extra tube came from to knot it and overlap it without it separating when he finally got the tyre back on.

Mr Pig

Superglue won't work. When it dries it's rigid and will just crack and flake off. Something thick and gooey to plug the hole then your tape over it to stop the pressure pushing it out might work for a while. If the hole is pretty small. If the hole is big then forget it!

You get little patches called 'Scabs'. You just peel the backing off and stick them on. They don't work as well as a full moo repair but they're better than nothing and easy to carry.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
piedwagtail91 said:
a clubmate came up with an almost unbeleivable story for a puncture repair.
apparently he was out on his own, punctured and found he had no spare or repair kit.he got the tyre off and found the hole, cut the tube ,didn't say what with,and tied a small knot in each end, put it back in the tyre with both ends overlapping and blew it up. got home no problem.we tried to work out where all the extra tube came from to knot it and overlap it without it separating when he finally got the tyre back on.

I've done that, and it works

Steve Austin said:

unbelievable, i thought it was a wind up ;):biggrin:

Mr Pig said:
Superglue won't work. When it dries it's rigid and will just crack and flake off. Something thick and gooey to plug the hole then your tape over it to stop the pressure pushing it out might work for a while. If the hole is pretty small. If the hole is big then forget it!

You get little patches called 'Scabs'. You just peel the backing off and stick them on. They don't work as well as a full moo repair but they're better than nothing and easy to carry.

i agree, i used superglue once, but cause it dried hard, the tube exploded before it got enough pressure, and my ear rang for about half an hour...

old cycle+ workshop says grass stuffing doesnt work- just turns to mush after half mile.. for large blown hole, cut the tube, tie together tightly in a reef knot, stretch around rim and inflate less than normal, may slowly deflate, but will get you home...- for small puncture: use something a little sticky (postage stamps, insulation tape, chewing gum, gaffer tape, handlebar tape)- apply over hole, and insert this bit last, hold (lots) pressure around this area while slowly inflating until up to working pressure.. if it fails, youll have to cut and tie..

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Well, it's up and looking good. Got me to work and no sign of it deflating.

The glue wasn't superglue in the sense most of you were thinking, it was a moisture-curing elastic adhesive which is better then standard superglue. So alls good. My friend might not be too impressed if he ever takes his tube out and see the messy repair though.

Also got some good tips now on what to do if I'm out without a kit again. So thanks

dodgy

Steve Austin said:

Yep, been out with a group in the Peak District and passed a ride who was doing just this. He filled the space between each end of the tube with grass. We could easily have just given him a spare tube or puncture kit, but I think he was happy in his Heath Robinson daydream.

Dave.

Top Bottom