Flat bar road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pier

Hi,
I've been cycling for few years with a MTB and I'd like to try something new, a bit for commuting but also to have a easier ride when I don't go off-road.
That's why I thought about a flat bar road bike.
It would be easier for me to start with and it will be much easier to push on the road.
I was thinking about the Scott speedster 50 flat bar, but then I saw the Vitus Mach 3.
I'm more inclined for the Scott, as it is a road bike with flat bar. I didn't see many reviews about the Vitus.

What do you think?

Cyclist33

test ride the scott and if you like it in the flesh, go for it!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Sorry I can't give any opinion on these two- I will however recommend my preferred flat bar road bike- the Giant Rapid, and for £600 you can get the rapid 3 with carbon forks as well as road gears!
Ignore this post at your leisure.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi,
I've been cycling for few years with a MTB and I'd like to try something new, a bit for commuting but also to have a easier ride when I don't go off-road.
That's why I thought about a flat bar road bike.
It would be easier for me to start with and it will be much easier to push on the road.
I was thinking about the Scott speedster 50 flat bar, but then I saw the Vitus Mach 3.
I'm more inclined for the Scott, as it is a road bike with flat bar. I didn't see many reviews about the Vitus.

What do you think?

I don't think there is anything wrong with a flat bar roadie although us Brits do not seem to love them as much as our continental cousins.

My only 2-penneth is there are flat bar road bikes that are drop bar road bikes with flat bars and there are flat bar road bikes that were designed as such. Top-tube will be longer on the latter.

As ever, go try whatever you fancy and see if it fits.

Alternatively, why not just lock your forks and put some slicks on your MTB?

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

The problem is that my good MTB was stolen few days ago so now I just have a pretty old MTB that i was thinking to give away for free. So i wanted to get a fast bike without having to go for a race bike. I'm now checking the scott at Tredz, probably I'll do the order this week.

Longshot

I'm going to throw in a vote for the Specialized Sirrus - carbon forks on most models. There's normally some good deals the the model years tick round.

vickster

Legendary Member
EBC have a sale on at the moment :smile:

I love my Whyte Cambridge, deals here on older models (not that they've changed much)

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/search_results.php?searchwords=whyte+cambridge

Broadside

Guru
not so short :-)

Unluckily there aren't many offers on the bikes I like

If you're between 6'0" to 6'5 and would be interested in a Giant FCR2 2009 model with only 300 miles on the clock give me a shout. It is in immaculate as new condition and is a bike I offered to look after for a friend when he went for a work trip to Oz. 3 years later he is still not back so I am trying to sell his bike, it is a lovely example of a flat bar road bike, I can send pics if you're interested.

It was somewhere around £700 new and could be yours for half that :-)

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

If you're between 6'0" to 6'5 and would be interested in a Giant FCR2 2009 model with only 300 miles on the clock give me a shout. It is in immaculate as new condition and is a bike I offered to look after for a friend when he went for a work trip to Oz. 3 years later he is still not back so I am trying to sell his bike, it is a lovely example of a flat bar road bike, I can send pics if you're interested.

It was somewhere around £700 new and could be yours for half that :-)

No, I'm 5.6 (and a bit more) and my measure should be between 50 and 54 (depending on the bike).
I'm actually seriously thinking about a drop bar bike.
The fact is that I wanted to buy it with the c2w scheme but this seems to take a lot of time (at least here) and I need(want) a bike soon.
So I was thinking now to buy a proper road bike with a finance and then use the c2w to buy a commuting bike later.

Do you know any good site that does finance and have good sales bike?
I could stretch the budget quite a lot if I can buy with a finance.

An awful lot of people make that step (myself included :blush:) when they would have been better going for a dropped bar bike in the first place. With hindsight if I didn't go straight to drop (which I probably would), I'd go for a bike that could easily be coverted to drops down the line; a mate has just converted his Giant Rapid (it seems to fit the bill having side pull rather than v brakes).
Never looked in detail on line, for finance but I believe wiggle and chainreactioncycles do it.

Top Bottom