Flat bar road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pier

Pier

With hindsight if I didn't go straight to drop (which I probably would), I'd go for a bike that could easily be coverted to drops down the line; a mate has just converted his Giant Rapid (it seems to fit the bill having side pull rather than v brakes).

That's why I'm actually going for a drop bar directly. I checked few things and the bike I'd like have 3x8 gears, so if I want to upgrade to drop bar and get something better (9-10 gears) I should change everything. So I thought: why not going directly with a drop bar bike and buy a cheaper one for commuting?
At the end I will spend a bit more but gain more flexibility.

The only problem is that I will need a lot of time to use all the bikes (2 at the moment, plus one more soon) :smile:

Boon 51

Veteran
Just my bob's worth..

I started with the road or flatbar bike problem and opted for a road bike but have to say I made a mistake.. I now have a flatbar road bike and love it too bits.
Its better for me than a road bike but that is just my opinion on it..

Good luck in your choice and have fun when you get it. :smile:

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

Just my bob's worth..

I started with the road or flatbar bike problem and opted for a road bike but have to say I made a mistake.. I now have a flatbar road bike and love it too bits.

Thanks for your 2 cents.
May I ask you why you switched from drop to flat bars?
Postural problem?

Also, do you have wrist pain if you do long rides (50+ miles)?

Rivenpunk

Hi,

I'm more inclined for the Scott, as it is a road bike with flat bar. I didn't see many reviews about the Vitus.

What do you think?

I think that the more road bike like a flat bar is, the worse the bike is. Road racing bikes are limited to very narrow tyres. People think this is for low rolling resistance. It isn't, it's for aerodynamic advantages that only matter at very high speeds that you need drops and excellent fitness to reach - and even then the advantage is tiny.

For everyday use a fast but moderately wide tyre (35mm to 40 Marathon Supreme or Kojak) is much better - more grip, better for potholes. Even pro-racers often switch to cyclocross bikes for events like the Paris Roubaix, so that they can run wider tyres.

Also bars with some flare in give a much better wrist position than a regular flat bar. Look at Fleegle bars and Marys.

RWright

Guru
Just my bob's worth..

Good luck in your choice and have fun when you get it. :smile:

I am just curious, what is better about it?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I just found this website:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk

I can have a 7005 frame with shimano 105 for less then £900.
This is tempting :smile:

Not sure what your point is there?

Is it the fact it is 7005 ally or 105 groupset or <£900 that is floating your boat?

All are totally irrelevant if the bike doesn't fit you. You are a billion miles from Ribble so you are unlikely to get there for a fitting session and if you don't know your 'fit' then online ordering is tricky.

Go to Evans or better still a good LBS and have a look at what they have to offer. Something like this may be a good starter at £900 (if it fits and serves your purpose):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/caad8-6-tiagra-2013-compact-road-bike-ec042914

Mind you Evans are crap at fitting bikes in my experience. Basically their standard fitting service consists of setting the saddle height and job done.

If you need to change the saddle/stem then they will but will charge you for the new items and give you the stock ones to keep - LBS's do this differently; they just charge the difference in cost.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, I'm 5.6 (and a bit more) and my measure should be between 50 and 54 (depending on the bike).
I'm actually seriously thinking about a drop bar bike.
The fact is that I wanted to buy it with the c2w scheme but this seems to take a lot of time (at least here) and I need(want) a bike soon.
So I was thinking now to buy a proper road bike with a finance and then use the c2w to buy a commuting bike later.

Do you know any good site that does finance and have good sales bike?
I could stretch the budget quite a lot if I can buy with a finance.

A small Sirrus a la Pearsons sale ^^^ would probably fit you fine!

Finance deals - Evans, Formby, Tredz, Pedalon alll fo 0% off the top of my head. Or get a 0% credit card and set up a standing order

I don't think Ribble do finance

vickster

Legendary Member
If you need to change the saddle/stem then they will but will charge you for the new items and give you the stock ones to keep - LBS's do this differently; they just charge the difference in cost.

Not in my experience - I have changed the handlebars recently on both of my roadbikes, done by two different retailers and have had to pay for new bars and tape, paid a tenner for fitting by one, labour was free on the other (that said they built the bike for me initially)

Or do you mean just on brand new bikes?

Boon 51

Veteran
Thanks for your 2 cents.
May I ask you why you switched from drop to flat bars?
Postural problem?

Also, do you have wrist pain if you do long rides (50+ miles)?

My problem was the road bike only had an 11-28 rear cassette and I struggled on the mountains where I live and I lost too much weight.

I then got a mtb and found it easier to do the climbs so I got myself a flat bar with similar gearing as the mtb and its just loads better for me than the road bike.
I do 50 milers on the Trek mtb and the Bad Boy 2 with no wrist ache at all on either. :thumbsup:

Cyclist33

My problem was the road bike only had an 11-28 rear cassette and I struggled on the mountains where I live and I lost too much weight.

I then got a mtb and found it easier to do the climbs so I got myself a flat bar with similar gearing as the mtb and its just loads better for me than the road bike.
I do 50 milers on the Trek mtb and the Bad Boy 2 with no wrist ache at all on either. :thumbsup:

Slightly disappointed as I was hoping your reason would be to do with handlebar, prone position and geometry. Gearing is to be fair a silly reason to change from drop to flat-bar bikes - just change the cassette on the drop bar bike!

Stu

Boon 51

Veteran
I am just curious, what is better about it?

I think my Cannondale Bad Boy 2 is just a better ride, it wont beat my roadie in a top speed race but then I'm not bothered about that, but on a 30 or 50 mile lap its just as quick if not quicker than my roadie and more comfortable with a better riding position and no wrist ache, it corners down hills better and I can stand on the pedals and climb the mountains better.
Its 1.7 kilo heavier but not that you would notice and rolling speed is just as good as my road bike, and of course its matt black and looks stunning?
PS.. I have put on clipless pedals and now run Gatorskins tyres which are my only changes. :smile:

Top Bottom