Flat bar road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
According to Cycling Weekly they do but I'm not sure when it started
I couldn't see anything on their website whenever I posted that, but I didn't look that hard :smile:

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

After many thoughts and researches, I decided to build my own bike, buying mostly used components.
I have already bought the frame (a nice, cheap and bit old beone frame) and now looking for the wheels and chainset.
It will take a bit longer (if everything goes well it will take a couple of weeks) but at least it will be exactly as I wanted ;-)
This will be my commuting flat bar. I'll save the money from cycle scheme for the better road bike :-)
thanks everyone for the help!

Ness

My only 2-penneth is there are flat bar road bikes that are drop bar road bikes with flat bars and there are flat bar road bikes that were designed as such. Top-tube will be longer on the latter.

I was actually considering this. I've recently been diagnosed with a degenerative spinal condition, and MTB is becoming increasingly difficult!
I want a road race/sportive bike but I'm pretty sure I won't ever use the drops. I quite like the idea of having bull-horn/tri type bars, (I find this position very comfortable whilst doing spin classes), but this would obviously need different shifters and brakes like the type you get on flat bar bikes so that they are on the tops. I'm trying to keep costs down so don't want separate tri brakes and shifters.
However, I would want it to be a proper road bike, not a hybrid type with MTB components. The only bike I can find that is a pure road bike but with flat bars is the Scott Speedster 50. It looks identical to the drop bar version but is £100 cheaper!!! Why do you reckon this is? Surely the drop bars and shifters can't be that expensive!!!!
Are there any other bikes out there that are pure road bikes but with flat bars?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I was actually considering this. I've recently been diagnosed with a degenerative spinal condition, and MTB is becoming increasingly difficult!
I want a road race/sportive bike but I'm pretty sure I won't ever use the drops. I quite like the idea of having bull-horn/tri type bars, (I find this position very comfortable whilst doing spin classes), but this would obviously need different shifters and brakes like the type you get on flat bar bikes so that they are on the tops. I'm trying to keep costs down so don't want separate tri brakes and shifters.
However, I would want it to be a proper road bike, not a hybrid type with MTB components. The only bike I can find that is a pure road bike but with flat bars is the Scott Speedster 50. It looks identical to the drop bar version but is £100 cheaper!!! Why do you reckon this is? Surely the drop bars and shifters can't be that expensive!!!!
Are there any other bikes out there that are pure road bikes but with flat bars?

Brifters are very expensive and could easily explain the difference in price.

Both Rose (definitely) and Merida (I think) do flat bar road bikes - neither are cheap.

How about visiting your LBS's and see what they could do for you? May be able to order a road bike and swap out the various bits for you or build from frame up? As far as I know at least the FD would need changing too (might be wrong though).

FWIW have you looked at the Boardman Hybrids? They are pretty much flat barred road bikes. Quick and light with 28mm tyres and decent brakes. I know you say you don't want a hybrid but tbh there are hybrids and then there are hybrids!

The Comp, Team & Pro look like cracking bikes to me.

Ness

Cheers for the suggestions, had a look at all of them. Not what I'm really looking for though. They all have components such as canti brakes and MTB gearing.

If I'm going down the road of wanting a bullhorn bar set-up, it looks like I'll be limited to the Scott I mentioned.
Or just get a road bike and cut the hooks off. :giggle:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Cheers for the suggestions, had a look at all of them. Not what I'm really looking for though. They all have components such as canti brakes and MTB gearing.

If I'm going down the road of wanting a bullhorn bar set-up, it looks like I'll be limited to the Scott I mentioned.
Or just get a road bike and cut the hooks off. :giggle:

Are you sure you've looked at all of them? Planet X / Boardman Hybrid Comp / Rose etc do not fit what you are saying there.

Ness

Yes I'm sure.
The Planet X bike is out of my price range, but that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
Not sure what you mean about the Boardman hybrids though. They're skinny MTBs. The Comp has mechanical disc brakes and SRAM X5 groupset.
Rose don't do out and out road bikes with flat bars either. The only ones vaguely like what I'm referring to are too expensive.

Apologies, I should have said that my budget is 5-600 quid!!

Yes I'm sure.
The Planet X bike is out of my price range, but that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
Not sure what you mean about the Boardman hybrids though. They're skinny MTBs. The Comp has mechanical disc brakes and SRAM X5 groupset.
Rose don't do out and out road bikes with flat bars either. The only ones vaguely like what I'm referring to are too expensive.

Apologies, I should have said that my budget is 5-600 quid!!
The Giant Rapid 4 and 3t into your price range (you'll probably do better if you shop around) but they are out and out flat bar road bikes with side pull brakes.

Top Bottom