Flat bar road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ash cycles have had good deals on 2012 giants, worth a look

If you are smaller, Pearson cycles have the 2012 sirrus elite for 500 but only in xs or s

Stu9

I guess my flat bar rd bike's a RH SL, but really a mtb, I've put rd tyres on it

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes I'm sure.
The Planet X bike is out of my price range, but that is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
Not sure what you mean about the Boardman hybrids though. They're skinny MTBs. The Comp has mechanical disc brakes and SRAM X5 groupset.
Rose don't do out and out road bikes with flat bars either. The only ones vaguely like what I'm referring to are too expensive.

Apologies, I should have said that my budget is 5-600 quid!!

Ok.

Out of your price range but the Boardman Comp is nothing like any MTB I've owned:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_pro.html

Re: cable disc brakes. What's the problem with them? The CX world is pretty heavily commited to them now plus some road bikes are starting to appear. Like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...crid_19178765816_kword__match__plid_#features

Kevin Airey

Check out Orbea for flat barred road bikes, and while there check out the new Orbea Avant just launched not a flat bar but is this where road bikes could be heading?

I want to buy a new bike next week as plan on taking up cycling properly, on the odd occasion Ive suffered with some back pain so would it be better posture wise for and upright road bike or would the drop handle be ok, I dont want to fork out for a bike for my back to then hurt, any advice would be good.

vickster

Legendary Member
Welcome :hello:

How much are you thinking of spending?

There are plenty of drop bar bikes out there with a more relaxed geometry and you can always raise yourself up a bit by flipping the stem, riding on the hoods or tops

If the back pain is occasional, I wouldn't think too much about it, you can help by strengthening the core, pilates, stretching etc

Best go along to your local shop and have a look at what they have, also ride a few

Cyclist33

Why not just get a drop bar bike and ride on the tops then have the drops and the hoods too?

Because you don't have easy access to the gears n brakes when on the tops on a drop bar bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because you don't have easy access to the gears n brakes when on the tops on a drop bar bike.
This is why crosslevers are great, best of both worlds ... have to get creative with light fitting and use the headtube though when you ride on a 38cm bar!

Top Bottom