Flat bar road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My flatbar started out as an everyday hack but rode so well I ended up uprating it with better wheels (hand laced Mavic open sport on Tiagra hubs) , crank, mechs etc.
Main thing to do is get the right size frame, go for seat an inch or so above the bars with heels on pedals.The frame on mine is nothing posh its a Ridgeback with a lugless Tange CrMo tubeset (donated) and just happened to fit me perfectly.I have to agree about tyres though 35mm Marathons are about perfect though I use 28s probably just the old racer mindset,RIDE IT.

Boon 51

Veteran
I luv my flat bar road bike... :thumbsup:

chrisgatguis

Ok.

Out of your price range but the Boardman Comp is nothing like any MTB I've owned:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_pro.html

Re: cable disc brakes. What's the problem with them? The CX world is pretty heavily commited to them now plus some road bikes are starting to appear. Like this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...crid_19178765816_kword__match__plid_#features

Hi, I'm a newbie,

I have the Boardman Pro above and agree its not really like my old MTB.. the gears are much more race-like. The brakes are unreal (hydraulic disks) and its quite light weight.. For me I just didn't want to get the full race bike with the drops and this seemed to fit the bill... On reflection (doing really only on road rides) having only one position for your hands is a bit numbing so might need to get some bar ends or similar.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi, I'm a newbie,

I have the Boardman Pro above and agree its not really like my old MTB.. the gears are much more race-like. The brakes are unreal (hydraulic disks) and its quite light weight.. For me I just didn't want to get the full race bike with the drops and this seemed to fit the bill... On reflection (doing really only on road rides) having only one position for your hands is a bit numbing so might need to get some bar ends or similar.

Bar ends will help - or even possibly tri-bars?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi, I'm a newbie,

The Boardman grips are a bit horrid from what I've seen - maybe add these?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...ssories/bar-ends/ergon-gp2-grips-barends.html

chrisgatguis

Interesting just looking at these, if you imagine where the bar end bit is that's how I've been riding quite a lot - minus the fact I don't actually have a bar end there - so it must be quite a naturally comfy position for me..

might have to get some to try it out.

Thanks

OP
OP
Pier

Pier

Just finished my custom built. I'm pleased with result, I just need to check why the headset is a bit noisy. And thanks SRAM for doing MTB and road components compatible :-)
I will post some photos tomorrow.

Elms

If you're between 6'0" to 6'5 and would be interested in a Giant FCR2 2009 model with only 300 miles on the clock give me a shout. It is in immaculate as new condition and is a bike I offered to look after for a friend when he went for a work trip to Oz. 3 years later he is still not back so I am trying to sell his bike, it is a lovely example of a flat bar road bike, I can send pics if you're interested.

It was somewhere around £700 new and could be yours for half that :-)

Hi There,
I've just seen your post. I am 6'3, do you still have the bike or have you sold it?

Broadside

Guru
Hi Elms, yes it is still available and still in pristine condition as it continues to hang in my garage!

Do you want some further details or some photos?

Broadside

Guru
Here are the photos:

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 64
  • photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 62
  • photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 4-1.JPG
    photo 4-1.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 59
  • photo 5-1.JPG
    photo 5-1.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 62
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 60
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 62
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 62

Broadside

Guru
Here's a link to the Giant website about the spec http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/fcr.2/2431/32467/#overview

This is a really nice lightweight flat bar road bike, in immaculate condition apart from a small paint chip on the downtube just under the bottle holder - this happened in my garage when a gardening tool fell over and glanced the bike. I have often thought about keeping this bike for myself but I really cannot justify it, it's a nice bike that deserves a lot of use.

It has covered no more than 300 miles in total, you can see on the odometer (which I have since removed) that it shows 265 miles and I used it last year for a couple of rides while my own bike was off the road for a repair.

PM me if you want any further detail or to discuss a price.

Top Bottom