Flat pedal moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Going the other way...
080816_madness_1624a_heels.jpg

(ref http://www.chicagobikeblog.com/2008/10/bicycling-indus.html)

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
...What is the status, as a subgroup within this highly intellectual and most serious of issues, of flat pedals fitted with toe clips?... both the variety of toe clip which has a strap, and also for the variety which has no lateral restraint of this sort...
To me, this thread is not about saying one type of pedal is better than another. Just about every type of pedal devised will have a particular application where it is the most suitable pedal for a specific rider.

What troubles me are the myths that are invented and perpetuated about the supposed advantages of one type of pedal vs another. Clipless pedals are a juicy target for me because, IMO, the bike trade promotes them because they are expensive items that make large profits, not because they are the most suitable solution for each customer.

I can appreciate the suitability of clipless for certain uses, such as racing. However, clipless pedal systems are expensive, restrict the choice of shoe, mechanically complex, prone to dirt and wear, have safety issues with release and even walking, should be purchased by riders who are properly informed. IMHO, this thread serves a worthwhile purpose by knocking some of the many misleading myths that surround clipless pedals. If someone got a laugh out of it as well, all the better.

JNR

To me, this thread is not about saying one type of pedal is better than another. Just about every type of pedal devised will have a particular application where it is the most suitable pedal for a specific rider.

What troubles me are the myths that are invented and perpetuated about the supposed advantages of one type of pedal vs another. Clipless pedals are a juicy target for me because, IMO, the bike trade promotes them because they are expensive items that make large profits, not because they are the most suitable solution for each customer.

I can appreciate the suitability of clipless for certain uses, such as racing. However, clipless pedal systems are expensive, restrict the choice of shoe, mechanically complex, prone to dirt and wear, have safety issues with release and even walking, should be purchased by riders who are properly informed. IMHO, this thread serves a worthwhile purpose by knocking some of the many misleading myths that surround clipless pedals. If someone got a laugh out of it as well, all the better.

Oh come on.

Clipless pedals barely require any maintanence, wearing cycling shoes with road cleats hasn't stopped me cycling to work every day and has avoided slipping on the pedals whilst removing the old system of reaching down and pulling clips onto my shoes via old fashioned systems. This has enhanced every single mile of riding I do and that's with SPD-SL, I believe there are easier pedals to work with.

It really isn't hard to clip into pedals. You might have the odd moment at the beginning, just as you would with any pedal system designed to make pedalling easier.

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
...Clipless pedals barely require any maintanence...
It really isn't hard to clip into pedals. You might have the odd moment at the beginning...
Ha, I see you didn't contest the other disadvantages I mentioned, and confirmed one.

... clipless pedal systems are expensive, restrict the choice of shoe, mechanically complex, prone to dirt and wear, have safety issues with release and even walking...

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Cleated pedals are not always better. I was beasting a hill on Sunday when my right foot unexpectedly came out of the cleated pedal in mid flight. One split eye brow, swollen shoulder, lumpy elbow, gravel rashed ass and damaged helmet later I got back on for the last 10 miles home. I suppose I would have been a lot more aware if on flat pedals. You do tend to go a bit mad with the cleated ones

Davidc

Guru
..... whilst removing the old system of reaching down and pulling clips onto my shoes via old fashioned systems.....

Er - what

I've never done that. But then I've only done about 200,000 miles over the last 43 years using toe clips!

The only times fingers ever go near the pedals is to adjust straps, which is at most once each time you get on using a different pair of shoes!

If you prefer clipless then by all means use them, but I think within the humour this thread just points out that not everyone does.

During my trial of SPD clipless, which lasted 500 miles, what annoyed me most was only being only to ride in special shoes which were awkward for walking. I found the opposite to you in that clipless seriously degtaded my riding experience, and that was without any clipless moments! The best thing about it was packing up and posting everthing off after selling the pedals and shoes at a profit afterwards.

tyred

Legendary Member
Personally, I'm just disappointed that I managed to cycle 3,000 miles last year without enjoying a single inch of it because I don't use clipless pedals.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Integrated brake/gear systems are also expensive, restrict the choice of brake lever, mechanically complex, prone to dirt and wear, and have safety issues with standing on the pedals of a badly adjusted system and crushing your nuts on the top tube when the indexing is off and the chain slips. But you don't see great long threads about "exploding the myth of sti". It's obvious that your feet aren't attached to the pedals, but you do seem to have a bee firmly ensconced in your bonnet here. Get a sense of proportion, ffs

Davidc

Guru
Integrated brake/gear systems are also expensive, restrict the choice of brake lever, mechanically complex, prone to dirt and wear, and have safety issues with standing on the pedals of a badly adjusted system and crushing your nuts on the top tube when the indexing is off and the chain slips. But you don't see great long threads about "exploding the myth of sti". It's obvious that your feet aren't attached to the pedals, but you do seem to have a bee firmly ensconced in your bonnet here. Get a sense of proportion, ffs

It's not a serious thread Dan, but does perhaps carry the message that choice is important.

We can always have a thread about who likes STIs, separate shifters and brakes, downtube shifters, indexed or friction, no gears at all. Could be amusing (or on second thoughts be taken too seriously and turn into a slanging match so perhaps not).

OP
OP
snailracer

snailracer

Über Member
That's hilarious! Perhaps I should start a thread mocking STI?

brokenbetty

Über Member
...It really isn't hard to clip into pedals....

.It really isn't hard to clip into pedals _as long as you are wearing the right shoes_

It's not the clipping that puts me off, it's the shoes. I have this weird idea that shoes should match my outfit rather than my method of transport.

I guess it's about whether you see your bike as a way if getting around or an end in itself.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Er - what

I've never done that. But then I've only done about 200,000 miles over the last 43 years using toe clips!

The only times fingers ever go near the pedals is to adjust straps, which is at most once each time you get on using a different pair of shoes!

I am amazed! There is/was little point in using straps with clips if you didn't tighten them each time you used them. Hence the 'quick release' buckle on the straps, which you needed to reach down to to loosen the strap when stopping. They were most efficient and effective if used with the correct cycling shoes - with cleats. I used cleats with straps and clips, and if anything they were more difficult to release than clipless. As I have said before, I find using clipless pedals - the logical development of clips and straps - enhances the cycling experience for me. Each to his/her own ......

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
.It really isn't hard to clip into pedals _as long as you are wearing the right shoes_

It's not the clipping that puts me off, it's the shoes. I have this weird idea that shoes should match my outfit rather than my method of transport.

I guess it's about whether you see your bike as a way if getting around or an end in itself.

You mean you don't wear lycra all the time? :eek:

Top Bottom