Flat pedals feel weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jim55

Guru
After being used to clipless , I put flats on my s/s that iv just built up and was out trying the gearing and a gen shakedown test ,pulling away from a stop and getting out of the saddle feels so dodgy .
I felt as if I was gona slip off pedals and impale myself on t/t and stem , I'm gona strip it down and paint the frame but when I build it back up its getting a pair of spd on it , feels far more secure

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are going to die !!! Haven't ridden a bike without clips/clipless for 30 years !!! Not sure what I'd do.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I have flats on the B'Twin Triban 500 and SPD's on the Cube Peloton. I have no problems switching between the two, but I use the B'Twin for my daily commute, as unclipping and clipping in again every 75 yards for the traffic lights is a nause.

Incidentally, tonight I did a little under 25 miles on the B'Twin, and was faster on that (flats and all) than I was doing the same ride on the Cube on Saturday morning (19.8mph average against 19.3; if the traffic lights had been kinder I'd have gone over 20 tonight).

OP
OP
jim55

jim55

Guru
I just don't feel as safe, maybe physcological but I don't like my feet moving on the pedal,I was scared to get out the saddle and sprint

G3CWI

Veteran
If you read the threads for people trying clipless pedals they suggest that it takes a while to get used to them. You have lost your flat-pedal skills and will need to re-learn them in the same way.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have DMR V12 flats on my road bike.

The pins dig into rubber soles on shoes and you will not slip.

Some shoes not as good as others on flats but I feel well locked on and completely confident sprinting out of the saddle or stood up giving legs a stretch.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I sympathise with the OP. I even have trouble using clips and straps after using SPDs and Look Keos for many years (must be over 50 years since I've used flat pedals). I tend to pull my feet out of the straps, even if tight, and have obviously become used to a pedal style that involves pulling on the pedal as well as pushing. I can't see how either rubber or pins can keep your feet on the pedal if you are pulling up?

hifinut

After being used to clipless , I put flats on my s/s that iv just built up and was out trying the gearing and a gen shakedown test ,pulling away from a stop and getting out of the saddle feels so dodgy .
I felt as if I was gona slip off pedals and impale myself on t/t and stem , I'm gona strip it down and paint the frame but when I build it back up its getting a pair of spd on it , feels far more secure
Well i hear what your saying but i have only been using spd shoes for 2 days and although i much prefer them i did manage a very stupid looking dropping the bike at some traffic lights as i set off my shoe clip missed the clip and i went down with my other clip nicely engaged !!,i obviously stood up and looked at the pedal as if there was something wrong with it .:smile::smile:

Top Bottom