Flat pedals feel weird

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have DMR V12 flats on my road bike.

The pins dig into rubber soles on shoes and you will not slip.

Some shoes not as good as others on flats but I feel well locked on and completely confident sprinting out of the saddle or stood up giving legs a stretch.
I use a similar style (screwed in pins)... totally feel 'locked on' no matter which shoes/boots i wear. Crap flats are crap... good flats just work.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I can't see how either rubber or pins can keep your feet on the pedal if you are pulling up?
Few people actually pull up. Not even all the ones who think they do. It's relatively inefficient, although it does allow a higher peak power IIRC.

boydj

Legendary Member
Few people actually pull up. Not even all the ones who think they do. It's relatively inefficient, although it does allow a higher peak power IIRC.
I surprised myself when I rode a bike with flats recently. When I was on hills and the cadence dropped, I found my foot lifting on the upstroke all the time. Pulling on the upstroke, even very lightly, is probably a natural movement for some, particularly after using clipless pedals for years.

Hyslop

Veteran
Every time I jump on the hybrid, usually to nip out to the shops,I find myself weaving around,wondering whyI can't clip in!Cllpless are instinctive,but flats..oh dear,I get it eventually mind you,but,according to one of !y friends(apparently) I look an utter pillock weaving about and gazimg down at my feet.Charming.

MiK1138

Veteran
Left the office without changing into my cycling shoes yesterday, and even though my pedals(shim.545) have a platform it was totally alien, dont think i could ever go back to flats

RedRider

Pulling through
It's just what you're used to. I had a go with flats for the first time in a while the other day and kept lifting my feet off the pedals. Got used to it within an hour tho

doog

Back to flats on the tourer for me...had two nasty offs, one on a canal path in Slough and the other in France. Both instances involved panniers, one caught on a gate and the other was me pulling into my nearside and the front pannier striking a low wall...just couldnt unclip in time..both due to lack of concentration and daft distances.

I have spds on my other 4 bikes..anyone recommend something decent around the £20 mark...will use with some grippy Merrell walking type shoes.

snorri

Legendary Member
...will use with some grippy Merrell walking type shoes.
The grippy Merrel shoes I had were lethal on wet metal, manhole covers, rails etc.
They might be OK on grippy pedals, but be wary:smile:.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Back to flats on the tourer for me...had two nasty offs, one on a canal path in Slough and the other in France. Both instances involved panniers, one caught on a gate and the other was me pulling into my nearside and the front pannier striking a low wall...just couldnt unclip in time..both due to lack of concentration and daft distances.

I have spds on my other 4 bikes..anyone recommend something decent around the £20 mark...will use with some grippy Merrell walking type shoes.
DMR V8 pedals are about £25 and ideal for touring bike Imho.

They come with a syringe of grease and can be regreased without taking apart.

PS Currently on offer for £21.99 on Tredz website.

Last edited:
Top Bottom