Flat pedals, hmm...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Those stupid bicyclist shoes make you walk like you have pooed yourself when you nip to the shop for a pint of milk.
You are wearing the wrong shoes! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mt71-mtb-spd-shoes-2015/rp-prod55381
I fell off a couple of times with the Spuds and it aint no fun having a bike attached to you(I twisted my groin and calf with the weight and momentum of the bike attached).People will probably say "Why did you not unclip before you fell off ?"
Strangely, I find I have always become separated from the bike during falls and crashes, it just seems to happen without any conscious effort?
it's entirely possible to bunny hop with flat pedals. It's also very easy to stay on the bike, and get off it.
It is, but it is even easier to hop the back end about when clipped in. Not so easy to keep your feet on the flat pedals of a rigid mtb when hurtling down a rocky downhill trail. In my early days I had quite a few testicle/toptube interfaces before I quickly swapped to clips and straps then SPD's a short time later.
The main advantage of flat pedals is that you can just hop on the bike without having to think about changing your footwear.
This ^^^^^^
Some people might say why have you set the pedal tension so tight that you don't unclip automatically when you fall off?
I have the pedal clip tension set to max to get a guaranteed positive connection but as I just said above I always seem to cleanly separate from the bike when it hits the fan!

Levo-Lon

Guru
If spd's are second nature then dont bother with shin shredding power sapping flats..

i cant be doing with flats anymore...novice pedals in mtb world..

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If spd's are second nature then dont bother with shin shredding power sapping flats..

i cant be doing with flats anymore...novice pedals in mtb world..
shin shredding... wrong type of flats.
power sapping... utter b*llocks
novice pedals... the opinion of a nobber

Sorry... but someone had to say it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't be doing with riding a bike not clipped in. Second nature.

Lot's of MTB'ers run flats - I suppose it's easier to 'drop' the bike in a crash. That said, I've seen photos of some nasty shin injuries from flats with pins. No ta.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use the pedals with flats on one side and SPDs on the other. I also use MTB shoes and so I can use the flat pedals or the SPDs on the same ride.

Jannie rides with flat pedals with deck shoes. She has no cycling specific gear and can bang out 100km days one after the other, without effort. I have actually bought her a cycling jersey for Christmas. Its got cartoon dogs on it so she may wear it.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
shin shredding... wrong type of flats.
power sapping... utter b*llocks
novice pedals... the opinion of a nobber

Sorry... but someone had to say it.

I disagree... he was just commenting. I think by power sapping he meant you don't get to pull up on the pedal on the up stroke which is an advantage with SPDs.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Eh? If your foot is attached to the pedal, you can pull up with it while you push down with the other, as I frequently do!

It's not exactly sales bullsh*t, is it? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom