Flu jab......are you for or against ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've had two flu vaccines in the last two years. I've had two or three bouts of flu over my life, but none in the last 10 years.

Alex321

Veteran
I went to a vending machine just a few minutes ago to get a drink. There was only sugar free coke. I didn't want that so I didn't buy it.

I thought it important to make you aware of this ;)
There is a difference between not wanting something that only affects you, and not wanting something that then potentially affects anybody you come into significant contact with.

Jabs aren't just about protecting you as an individual, they are also about limiting the spread of disease in society as a whole.

Punkawallah

Über Member
A bit like the clap, really.

Ironically, as the proportion of the population who are vaccinated increases, so will the proportion of the population that are infected by vaccinated people . . .

Biker man

There is a difference between not wanting something that only affects you, and not wanting something that then potentially affects anybody you come into significant contact with.

Jabs aren't just about protecting you as an individual, they are also about limiting the spread of disease in society as a whole.
Totally agree with you.

gavgav

Guru
Had mine on Monday, through work. More important to get it this year, than ever, with Covid and Flu circulating.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Totally agree with you.
We keep seeing in the media that the jabs, (had mine) , don’t stop you catching it or spreading it, so it’s purely for the benefit of the jabbed individual. I do wish people would stop pretending they are doing some great service for society. Does it matter if we wake up tomorrow morning and all the population of England test positive .. but no one dies ... Fortunately even the government is seeing the folly of constantly testing a healthy population .. even if it’s just the shear cost ...

Biker man

We keep seeing in the media that the jabs, (had mine) , don’t stop you catching it or spreading it, so it’s purely for the benefit of the jabbed individual. I do wish people would stop pretending they are doing some great service for society. Does it matter if we wake up tomorrow morning and all the population of England test positive .. but no one dies ... Fortunately even the government is seeing the folly of constantly testing a healthy population .. even if it’s just the shear cost ...
It reduces the severity of it.

Biker man

For the infected individual no doubt ... but for society ???
If society is as daft as some here then heaven help them.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I’m sure there’s something under this bridge . . .
:-)
A Gov. press release quoting a REACT study trumpets fully vaccinated are three times three times less likely to be infected as unvaccinated. Reading on gives a figure of some 4% vaccinated tested positive after contact with a known COVID case, compared to some 7% unvaccinated.

So yes, it seems that there is some relationship between vaccination status and rate of infection. But nothing to say that the -vaccination- is what makes the difference. Do the unvaccinated have a less cautious attitude to social mixing? Do the vaccinated look after their general health more? An American study apparently showS people with good vitamin D levels are less likely to contract the virus - is this a factor?

Think the jury is still out on this one.

Top Bottom