Fluid turbo trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My York exercise bike appears to have failed (no resistance). Given it takes it so much space and I have a few *ahem* bikes, I'm considering a turbo. I'd like something simple to set up, stable and smooth so a fluid one I think. No need for Smart stuff, I won't use it.

The Cycleops Fluid options seems best, but the fluid 2 (£200 with block) or the tempo fluid (£140). The 2 looks more solid and stable in the pics but is this the case? I think the 2 has a QR, useful perhaps but not essential

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/3225...currency=GBP&gclid=CKG1wcL9v9ICFeQK0wodhS0HlQ

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/CycleOps/Fluid-2-Turbo-Trainer/2THB

Or there's the fluid pro on offer for similar cash with a bigger discount from RRP. Older model?
https://www.evanscycles.com/cycleop...esvaid=50080&gclid=CM2d5IuBwNICFdUaGwodp8AJhg

Elite seem to offer a fluid TT do, thoughts as to how they compare

I'm still not able to cycle outside for very long before pain kicks in so I'd like something to use indoors at least for a few months

TIA

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Id be sold on this blurb regarding the fluid 2

"
The CycleOps engineers designed the Fluid 2 to capture real road feel through the use of a 2.75 lb individually precision–balanced flywheel for more momentum and stability of your rear wheel.

They've also adjusted fluid levels for better resistance and improved the position of sealed–cartridge bearings for better inertia. This also provides an ultra quiet ride that ensures increased wattage as you increase your speed.

Just like riding outside, simply shift gears to increase or decrease resistance. When you spin your wheels on the Fluid2 it feels like you're actually getting somewhere."

I have owned a number of turbos over the last few years. The best non-smart/interactive experience was using the Fluid 2. The only one that comes close was the KK Road Machine, but I borrowed that off a friend for a day. I still have the Fluid 2 just in case the Kickr Snap goes belly up

It might not be of importance to Victster but I've found fluid trainers a lot more quiet than my old mag one, especially my first gen non smart Elite Muin. The fluid ones I have used (the KK and Elite) have been quite heavily damped too and all the work is in the small ring.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd like to be able to hear the TV :smile: I'm only looking at fluid ones

I've had v good use from my exercise bike, had for 6 years, used for hours and hours rehabbing etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You are in Smart mag trainer prices there. The Tacx T2240 can be got for less than £150 in the Halfords sales.

It's quiet enough to hear my laptop speakers even on low.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't want mag or smart though :smile:

Fair enough. Just giving you more options.

dfthe1

I bought a Fluid 2 a couple of months ago -- £100 from eBay in fantastic condition. I've been delighted with it (though never used any other trainer to compare it to).

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I got a fluid 2 a couple of months back. Does the trick. I got the Garmin speed and cadence sensors to use it on Zwift so that's always an option if you change your mind. Only gets noisy if you hammer it in big gears.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Cyclops fluid one a few years old and it is excellent. Quiet and solid and quick to set up.. My daughter has a cheap magnetic one and much more fiddly and noisy too.. More compact to store and carry though

si_c

Guru
I've been umming and ahing over getting a fluid 2, it's either that or the kinetic road machine, which is slightly more expensive but appears to be very well rated, and from what I've read, quieter, and has some smart functionality as well.

jay clock

Massive member
My oldish (c2009?) fluid one from Cyclops is very quiet. Can use it in an upstairs room (carpeted) and not heard downstairs. Even used it in our conservatory (open plan to living room) with people in the room and no complaints

Top Bottom