Fluid turbo trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Not like, but you know what I mean ^_^ At least you have choices, be interesting which you end up using more.
I don't have space for both, so the TT will go back if the exercise bike lives! I could dump the static but that feels wrong if its working ok

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
@vickster I completely agree with you on the importance of a quiet, smooth and non-smart fluid trainer. I also was not interested in purchasing a video game peripheral (which is how I view smart trainers) and whilst I wouldn't consider myself competitive, I still wanted to track my workouts to set targets and track progress. For me, tracking my workouts is a motivational factor and I do this using my Garmin Edge 1000 connected to speed and cadence sensors. Apart from being quiet and smooth, a fluid trainer has a defined power curve (with no "cheat settings" to make it easier), so it's possible to track each workout relative to the other workouts and hence set targets and track progress.

For me another motivational factor is the music / videos played during the sessions. I either just stream Radio La Cubanita through a Sonos speaker or I use the following structured workout session with the music played through a Sonos speaker:

I have a CycleOps Pro which is a really solid piece of kit and I liked it so much that I purchased a second one so my wife could work out on her trainer at the same time, which for me is another motivational factor.
33334264196_0436c66800.jpg

For a number of reasons I don't cycle on the roads during the winter any more, so it's very important to understand the motivational factors that will carry me through the winter months on a turbo trainer. I have now successfully completed 3 winters on my CycleOps and I know that in my case had I gone with a noisy and less solid trainer then I would have given up within the first few months of my first year.

I fully understand your dilemma about the "flippen exercise bike", and I'm not sure what I would do in your position. Three things to consider though, firstly if the exercise bike has already failed once then it will most likely fail again and so do you really want your training sessions to be dependant on an unreliable piece of kit? Secondly, I think you will find that the turbo trainer prepares you better for the good weather when you can once again take your bike back out on the roads, and for me this is the biggest motivational factor that keeps me training throughout the winter. Finally, the downside of the turbo trainer for me is that I'm not allowed (by SWMBO) to bring a dirty bike into the house, so I can't keep swapping between riding on the road and using my turbo trainer. This means that when spring arrives I still continue to use the turbo trainer until I can be sure that I will get at least 3 good rides a week on the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not really training, more physio, getting some exercise. So videos like that are of zero interest, just like any sort of virtual reality. I'll just watch whatever is on the TV/recorded. Come Easter, I'm hoping all my cycling will be outdoors. It was only the exercise bike dying that led me to consider a turbo, I don't know how much I'll use it, maybe if work stays as busy. The carbon bike can go on the TT, other options for outside.

I've just cancelled my gym membership, been a handful of times this year. Waste of money, can't use the machines due to plantar fasciitis (even though its only £18 a month)

I've listed the static on freecycle. If it doesn't go this week, I'll likely take to tip next weekend

Freecycler collecting static bike shortly so turbo it will be

Last edited:
Top Bottom