FNRttC FNRttC 2nd October to Southend-on-Sea 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Aha! The render queue has finished, so before I hit the sack, here's a link to my take at youtube.

Was another very enjoyable ride for me. Came straight from work to hook up with Ian at The Dripping Tap. This brought fond memories of young ILB, and we ended up dashing in with some alacrity.

Tagged onto the back of the arrivals peloton as we passed the palace, and spent 20 very happy minutes catching up with the tribe, evangelising the delights of the FNRttC to passers by.

The weather behaved very kindly, ushering us Eastwards through waltzes of litter and leaf. Bit chilly in the small hours, but a lovely chatty stop where bikes shouldn't be warmed us all. Nice to see so many recumbents out there too, Lee, Pippa (sorry Tim, you don't count) and a rare appearance from Auntie H.

The wind got a little over zealous after breakfast, failing to spot we'd turned for home. All exposed surfaces were treated to a little exfoliation, as Sig, Mikeeeee, Ian, Ape, Lee, Steve, myself and the Brotherhood of Feline Devotion slowly cranked our way back.

Ian and I peeled off at the Dartford crossing, but they wouldn't let us play proper and made us take the van over. Quick run from there to Orpington, then back to home and family.

My apologies to any who didn't get a brownie (ttcycle attests they were lovely) and congratulations to those who correctly identified the snake of bike lights approaching in a game of 'car/train/bikes?'

Morning all.

mike e

Great video's Arthur and Andy. Inspired song choice as well Andy, hope you've got another great tune for Whitstable?

mistral

Guru
Arthur said:
Another marvellous ride - seven hours of serenity, despite the best efforts of some of the people we passed in the streets. Two little things that really stick in my memory were the whistling and clanging of wind-blown rigging as we rode along the sea wall and watching the London Plane leaves gently falling from the trees as we cruised along the embankment.

A few pictures...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1Q5BEwjdEE

Arthur, inspired choice of backing track, good to hear Canvey Island's finest (Dr Feelgood) again.

And thanks to all involved for making this one another memorable and enjoyable ride.

arallsopp

Howdo Mike e. Great riding with you. Lovely to get the mouseketeers out together.

Rest assured, I have just the ditty. A tune so apt, I can barely wait for the night.

TC2

Hi guys brilliant ride have keyboard trouble at home. so am a little pushed for time at work. it was great to see everyone, am sure we had angered the gods on the way back or perhaps the wind was trying to blow me back accross the channel to Italy. thanks Simon great ride as ever thanks teef, Mike e,sig and the rest for leeting me tag along on the return hope i didn't slow you down too much.

TimO

Guru
Impressive find Adrian. After a bit of googling, I think I understand the basics of what is going on, but I didn't manage to find any decent shots demonstrating it. You obviously had more luck, well done. I think the first photo of that bunch is the best, the slightly more isolated tubes look better.

When I went past you over the bridge, I thought you'd both be just behind me, but when I looked back you had disappeared. :blush: I guess you were aiming for London Bridge, whereas I was continuing onto Croydon. I hope you were going for London Bridge, after the turmoil you must have had to deal with on that line I would think you'd prefer a bit of a rest to struggling against that wind, which was a bit of a git. It was very unfortunate that the chap was killed on that level crossing, but there's little that we can do after the event, other than make damned sure we're careful when crossing such. :sad:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
wonderful videos. And, yes, I did look dreadful at Junction 31. No wonder people were worried.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Great videos and photos, chaps :blush:

mike e said:
Great video's Arthur and Andy. Inspired song choice as well Andy, hope you've got another great tune for Whitstable?

Here here! Splendid way to start the week. 2:13 into Arthur's is a lovely scene - just as the foreground creeps in and the fade begins...

There is so much talent nestling in this ride - very impressive.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
My first FNRttC without a chaperone but a fab night all round. Met lots of loveley people and knew I was a regular when Topcat2 and I realised we were wearing matching tights.

I managed to get all the way past HPC without falling over (well done me) and sailed off into the night unscathed.

First obstacle came early on with trying to avoid a minicab ferrying an inebriated young lady who was throwing up out of the window. The more I do night rides, the less inclined I am to get so trashed that I look like the people we see while on them.

Cycled with many people, having been identified as the wheeledweenie early on. The lovely Tim, Ian and TTCycle to name but a few. The pace was sedate, even more so than the 'genteel' but we were STILL early at the halfway stop. Thank God I bought a baselayer as it got a bit nippy after that and remained so.

I managed the last big hill, making this ride the first one where I've not had to get off even once. It came at a price, wheezing like an old man and looking like a beef tomato.

A delicious breakfast meant I was almost convinced by Leigh that I should join the hardcores on the trip back but sense prevailed and I got the train. I did, however cycle the 12 miles from Liverpool Street. I did the washing up, ate soup and bread, showered, sat on the sofa at 12pm and opened my eyes again at 4pm. Then I cycled to the pub for beers, hurrah!

Happiness is a night ride.

arallsopp

The timelapse camera autofocus didn't love the dark, so I've only a narrow choice of usable stills this time. Here's some of my favourites.

Ready for the off:
picture.php

Getting out of town:
picture.php

When cyclists own the road
picture.php

What happens to a long exposure when you put down the kickstand
picture.php

The flight of the wounded bumblebee
picture.php

If we're going so fast, how comes he's looking backward? Sh1t! Everyone's stopped!
picture.php

Wait for a gap in traffic, then pull out carefully.
picture.php

...and one of the return gang.
picture.php

Top Bottom