FNRttC FNRttC 3rd July to Brighton - the 'Genteel' ride 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacB I meant to ask; in current trim how much does your lovely lovely bike weight?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrumpyGreg said:
MacB I meant to ask; in current trim how much does your lovely lovely bike weight?

well phrased, actually I'd like to know but am reluctant to shell out £50 for some scales as a one off. Might drag the bathroom scales down to the garage later and do it that way. Not precise but close enough for my purposes. At a guess I'd say the commuter is 35lbs, the pub bike, 30lbs and the 'lovely' bike about 25lbs. I'll post up my results later on.

MacB

Just been and weighed the bikes and my guesses were pretty close:-

Surly Crosscheck Commuter - 36lbs - the hub gear, tyres and rack will account for about 12lbs of this alone

Dawes pub bike - 31lbs - rack and heavy tyres again

Giant CRS Alliance - 24lbs - rather pleased with this - spending money could shave another 2lbs off this but I think I'm happy as is

Looking at the surly, add on saddle pack, panniers etc, no wonder I'm tired after a weeks commute:biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
back when I rode MTB's competitively our mantra was "train rigid, race on suspension. Train heavy, race light." it works. seems like commute heavy, FNRttC light is the way to go. For me it is commute heavy, do everything heavy though.

Perhaps in a moment of weight loss induced madness I'll contemplate a FNRttC on a slick shod SS MTB. But not til I get under 14 stone.

MacB

GrumpyGreg said:
back when I rode MTB's competitively our mantra was "train rigid, race on suspension. Train heavy, race light." it works. seems like commute heavy, FNRttC light is the way to go. For me it is commute heavy, do everything heavy though.

Perhaps in a moment of weight loss induced madness I'll contemplate a FNRttC on a slick shod SS MTB. But not til I get under 14 stone.

if I hadn't got the Surly for commuting then the giant would still have all the ehavy stuff and I'd be doing the night rides like that, as per the first one I did. As I mentioned that was my first ride on the giant without all the extras and I rather enjoyed it.

Tim Hall

Aperitif said:
A23 quieter version through Crawley - I passed a Stadium I think?
That would be The Broadfield Stadium.

There is an old painted sign nearby advertising a Boomtown Rats concert in the field - any ideas where it was you locals?
Over near Charlwood, if the sign I saw last week is anything to go by. And it was last week or the week before, so unless they do loads of encores, you're too late.

Thank you Tim...now you get bonus points if you can re-photograph the fake head which I stuffed in the bushes, before I reached the Boomtown Rats sign.
Here's another view - just in case you have nothing better to do. :becool:
You're looking for the leccy supply lines...see?
23j223b.jpg

MacB

clivedb said:
Thanks - glad they're visible. I edited out the one of me at Cafe Nero!

but you left in the one of me looking fat and gormless(more so than usual) in the car park at the bottom of the beacon? Ta 'mate':biggrin:

Top Bottom