FNRttC 4th September to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
redjedi said:
Right place your bets.

Just about to leave and I get a call from Aperitif, who's waiting for DavyW.

No answer from phone.

Another no-show?
£10 on DavyW to show;)

Great to see you all again. Headcam seemed to work. Movies will be made. First, however, domestic repairs. :eek:

TimO

Guru
Another excellent Friday Night Ride, and for a second month running the cat has done us proud with an almost clear sky and moon visible most of the night.

The wind behind us positively pushed us to Whitstable, and it seems unfair that after arriving at the Cafe feeling so fresh, the ride from Brompton South to Croydon left me feeling utterly knackered. It could be something to do with the fact that I was cycling against that same headwind for almost all of those 7 miles. :eek:

A great ride, where I managed to avoid being directed astray onto a diversion, unlike June, and as always the company was also exemplary. Thanks to all the waymarkers and TECs, I was only callled upon to do minimal work this month, so spent a lot more near the front than normal.
thumb_up.gif

A GPS track to follow, although it will probably be very close (if not identical) to previous routes. This month I'll also produce some sort of video, showing mostly the backs of people as seen by the bullet-cam on my handlebars.

Tynan

Veteran
yep another winner

I was bushed by the end but recovered on the train to ride the 14 miles home, gently#

Arrived home sore and tired but a hot bath has done wonders

Faster pace this time which was very welcome and perfect albeit slightly chilly weather, good compnay and it seemed more ladies than usual which was nice

Simon was a gent as ever although once again I arrived very close to departure time, just before this time, a flat in Finsbury park really wasn;'t something I'd allowed fot, a feverish tube change and an ensuing ride of the valkyries just saw me there

for thos interested, my breakfast consisted of
orange juice, tea and a 99 to start
full english as a main
sticky toffee pudding and custard to finish

they didn;t have cigars

very enjoyable, my thanks to all, especially Simon and crew

My ride began in a rather surreal way as I had to run the gauntlet of double lines of police officers whose stern demeanour cracked rather at my appearance and the normally-deserted platform at Prittlewell station was thronged with football supporters, Saarfend United having just finished a game. These were "home" supporters heading back into the hinterland and by the time I reached Lpoo St. the train was almost empty again. They seemed to be in a pretty good humour and I found subsequently that they beat Leyton Orient 3 - 0. I think the away supporters had been corralled elsewhere and were to be put on a later train.

Road works on the embankment - or at least, the underpass near Blackfriars - gave me an almost traffic-free ride across to Northumberland Ave, and once past Trafalgar Square it became quiet again.

I didn't really enjoy the first 20 miles or so as I had a nagging feeling that I was getting a cold, and seriously considered going home, especially when we got to Dartford. It's only about 18 miles to Southend from there and we had a fairly prolonged and cold stop when someone snapped a chain. However, I was really pleased that I stuck it out because I felt a lot better by the time we got to Rochester and once daylight began to appear in the sky it was marvellous. Having said that, it was pretty wonderful anyway with probably the best moon of any FNRttC that I have ever done, and hardly any clouds all night. It was never particularly cold, but I did put more layers on after the 4 a.m. bacon butty stop.

Initially I kept up a moving average of 11 mph but as the hillier bits appeared this declined to 10.4 for the ride as a whole. Such speeds don't bother me in the slightest but I'm acutely aware that tail-end charlies are posted as my personal minders (no-one else is in my league for sloth) and I wonder whether they get fed up cycling at my pedestrian speed. Thanks for your forbearance, chaps!

One of the best overnight rides, Simon, and a classic. I still think the best ever was the "genteel" ride of two years ago put on for your pal Bridget's benefit when we arrived in Brighton so early that we were swimming in the sea at 6.45 a.m. but they were much smaller, more intimate rides in those days.

I've just washed my shorts and the two tops I was wearing. I don't think I've ever seen so much muck from clothes that have had just 12 hours' use.

Another classic ride - Whitstable is probably my favourite destination for the FNRttC.

I have a feeling that some chavs have read the thread of dates, as we seemed to be targetted by egg throwing idiots again, as a good assortment was thrown at us in Gravesend. What sort of person drives around at 2 am with a box of eggs next to them?? However, on the plus side, seeing the moon surrounded by clouds creating an aura whilst we were waiting in Boxted Lane before Sittingbourne was worth it.

It was nice to see some new faces on this ride, as well as the usual suspects. It was also nice that there were I think only 2 mechanicals - a chain breaking and a puncture, which made a change from last month!

I left the cafe at 9.30 to go and carry out a recce for my Sandwich and Fish & Chip ride next weekend, and so headed off to Canterbury, then dropped down towards Sandwich, and then north up to the coast, west of Birchington on some off road routes. I then headed back along the sea wall to Whitstable, just before 1 pm where I found about 10 riders still there, getting very merry - I think they'd started drinking at 10 am. However a big thanks to Simon for the pint, which was very much appreciated!

After negotiating the nightmare London traffic, which has left me a bit hoarse having to shout at so many drivers & pedestrians for not looking, then onto the train home and about 120 miles in total for the day.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I thought it was lovely. The company was splendid, and the manner in which people took it upon themselves to help out was inspiring. More later, but thankyou one and all.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Flying Dodo said:
I then headed back along the sea wall to Whitstable, just before 1 pm where I found about 10 riders still there, getting very merry - I think they'd started drinking at 10 am.

:biggrin: It was 09:50 when they finally agreed to serve us...

Fantastic ride and a jolly good Saturday morning / afternoon spend getting sun burned and tipsy! Lovely to have a tailwind all the way and the pace was pretty brisk - even uphill. That final 6 mile sprint was hard on the legs but it was so worth it when we arrived at our sunny destination!

ChrisM

My first FNRttC..... :biggrin: was very impressed with how well it was organized and a big thank you to Simon, the way markers and tail-end charlies for all their hard work.
The bacon buttie at Rochester was very welcome after a few miles. A great ride with a great bunch of people.Lovely to see the sunrise over the fields of Kent. Home now knackered after 32 hours no sleep and 87 miles including traveling to and from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31795552@N08/sets/72157622130456287/

I'm pretty sure that last night's will prove to be my last FNRttC of 2009. For early October Mrs. Wow and I have booked a long weekend in Dorset; and 30th October, the last Friday in the month, is the anniversary of this:-
DSC03487.JPG

That's Nateby Bank (Yorks-Cumbria border) at about 450 metres and my wife is covered in snow.

theboytaylor

Yep, thanks to all involved, particularly Simon and the waymarkers. Was great to meet some of you CC'ers for the first time (in some cases the second!) and was great company in which to ride to the coast and then to sit and enjoy a few lagers.

I'm guessing that a couple of people are going to be nursing more than just sore legs and a bit of sunburn tomorrow!

Here's some piccies:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10646197@N07/sets/72157622131477563/

PS - Origamist the pub up the other end of Whitstable IS called the Old Neptune, for your future reference

Another fantastic FNRttC. Great time relaxing on the beachfront - the sensible option was obviously to make a day of it in Whitstable rather than ride back, oh well... Got back a couple of hours ago but due to simultaneously eating, bathing and falling asleep didn't get round to posting that the journey back had gone OK. Stopped somewhere on the Pilgrims' Way for a bite to eat and what turned out to be a substantial kip. Also managed to find a couple of lanes that were completely sheltered from the wind by huge hedges, the only problem was that they were 700ft up.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was another cracker. For some reason I seemed to have a twinge in my left leg pretty much the whole ride (now cleared up) which I think slightly impinged on my speed (not that I'm ever likely to keep up with Ben, ILB et al!). It might just have been sheer hard work on the muscles' part- that did indeed seem faster than normal, not just on account of the tailwind...
Route was OK in terms of climbing, nothing too strenous, some lovely scenery. Never been to that part of Kent before, glad I have. Sterling work by both cafes- excellent breakfast in particular.
Thanks to all those who helped out with the chain drops, and Simon & helpers of course, as ever an excellent bunch of travelling companions. Looking forward to completing the '09 route set with Southend.....

Top Bottom