FNRttC 4th September to Whitstable 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I had to go to the supermarker after getting home, the hot bath effect got me there but thereafter I kept going to sleep whenever I touched anythig on the shelves, my body considering that a sleeping position, I made it to the mother in law's party, drunk four bottles of peroni and than had to rest my eyes in a very noisy bedroom, out like a light until 10.45

home now and about to go back to bed, the wife is watching halle berry in Catwoman, it gives every impression of being a dreadully badly made film

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Arthur said:
Although I wasn't able to join the ride until Rochester, those were some of the happiest, care-free miles I've ridden in a long time. Marvellous stuff.

Some of my pictures
Arthur, that's quite lovely. Thankyou.

Oh dear...
Oh dear oh dear...

:biggrin:

Can it get better?

Apologies but I am operating with limited internet facilities at the mo' so just a few 'notelets' from me...

User10571 and I share (present tense :tongue: ) the same interest in Sandy Sykes. Our art tutor...Bear in mind that I attended 20 years before User10571 (the Art School silly - what were you thinking?).
I like it at the back.
Sorry to have tried to shake you off at Monument Jason - stealth waymarking! :tongue:
Lovely to meet theboytaylor (who recited the forum names of all present at the piss up creative debrief in Whitstable) Ruth, the marine biologist - completely at home with pond life such as I :ohmy:
Revelation that Davywalnut's thighs are 65cm 'relaxed' - bigger than the Pied Piper of Cheam's derriere!:ohmy:
I had to cycle into work after reaching Victoria, then out of town along an untried route which took in a huge fire in Dudden Hill Lane.
I sent mikee regular texts every time we got a round in. I gave up after the ninth as I mislaid the power of spell...:laugh:
Matt won the raffle.
We must never do that again. (I'm putting this in the 'Tell a lie about the FNRttC' thread...)
Looking forward to meeting interested members on the next ride - ttcycle, Wigsie perhaps? Others?
That's the last time I take the train...:biggrin:

My oh my - I need another dose.

redjedi

Über Member
Apparently I was on this ride yesterday :laugh:

Mileage on computer, dirty cycling kit and oily leg says I was.
Pounding headache today says it wasn't possible. :tongue:

Got home yesterday at 6.30, instantly fell asleep before waking 2 hours later and thought it would be a good idea to shower.

From what I remember it was an excellent ride (as usual). Bacon roll at 4am was very welcome. Note to self - Don't get too near the front just before getting to the cafe. Wayfinding means you end up at the back of the queue.

The call of "6 miles to go" from Simon was the sign to let rip and bomb into Whitstatble, which was going fine until I realised that I didn't know where to go.

Breakfast was excellent and hit the spot niceley. Beer session stating at 10am was also very nice. :ohmy:

Happy birthday Origamist.

Once these Neurofen kick in, I'll post a couple of pics.

Thanks again Simon, for the ride and for helping some of us get back to London. Actions above and beyond the call of duty.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
first time to Whitstable and very impressed, loved the ride, no hills to speak of and a helping wind, can't ask for more. My thanks to everyone involved, my awe at the sheer ease of participating is still not fading. Took a couple of turns at waymarking, one of which probably wasn't needed. Simon had so many volunteers that I think he was throwing in extra to give everyone a turn. Had a go at opening up for the last 6 miles, foolishly thought I could catch the front half dozen or so. Boy was I wrong, they only had about 80 yards on me but I just couldn't close the gap. Passed a couple in between and picked up a 'drafter' in the form of Tanya. Thankfully as I started to flag she took her turn and towed me into Whitstable. All going well until we realised neither of us had a clue where the cafe was. We trusted to blind luck and then lost faith and Tanya stopped twice to ask directions. Still made it not far behind the leaders and Tanya, very generously, didn't speed up and drop me at the end. I then indulged in a breakfast of a 99 with flake, an orange juice and, a little later, a hot chocolate.

Lounging at the Waterfront cafe bar, we had an Aperitif, along with several others, who indulged in the odd drink. Quite perked us all up, we went from sitting looking dopey, to sitting looking drunk and dopey. Allegedly Origamist has 12 birthdays a year and they all coincide with the full moon. I probably had 2, maybe 3, pints, but the others all got a little greedy! A lot of laughs, plenty of stupid stuff, I got told off, quite rightly, for rambling(felt like being at home) and the day passed remarkably quickly. The trip home was smoother than I thought it might be. A bath followed by Chinese takeaway rounded the day off and head, to pillow, to sleep seemed to happen simultaneously.

I do need to make one apology, to DavyW, at one point I was a little cruel in mentioning that we needed approx 10 million women on the ride to give him a decent chance of 'scoring'. I now realise that the population of planet Earth isn't yet big enough for him to have a hope.

292v021.jpg

"Innocence" - The Whitstable Phenomenon.

"Our leader, who art in Cheam,
hallowed be thy name,
thy peloton come,
thy will be done, overnight,
and arrive at seven.

Give us this day, our daily beer,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that
Traipsed behind us.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us to Victoria,
For FNRttC is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever.
Ah women..! :smile:

Alastair - your eloquence is legendary, but your poetic licence needs renewing...'2, maybe 3 pints' - my ar$erelaxed thigh measurement! :biggrin:

I have just done 65kms - just riding here and there - and I feel very happy.
Lots more evidence interesting images to post, including "protegé watch"...

A few more snippets include; my mate Andy Allsopp wearing the LEL jersey. Lovely to see him back in the fold again.
Mrs theboytaylor...who must have been a bit surprised at the elite athletes who had transmuted into 'liquified assets' by the time she arrived!:smile:
Davy speculating on who was going to 'win' Big Brother. This won the award for the shortest topic of conversation at the EGM. :smile:
The guardian moon - the little goats - the cows, horses and welcoming warmth of the day.
Adam - The Flying Dodo, turning up again and displaying admirable insouciance in the face of excitable comrades.:smile:
Bliss.

Tynan

Veteran
whoever did the flicker thing, kudos, these rides look so bloody brill in pictures

and I'd have loved to stay for beers, but I had a full day to fulfil which as it happens when very well too

bravo all, another winner all round it seems

Tim Hall

Brief notes from me:

TanyaG bust her spangly new fangled 10 speed chain. We beat it into submission with a chain tool or two and only minor bloodshed.

Simon's otherwise excellent preflight talk failed to tell us what to shout in the case of a dead fox lying in the road. "Fox" seemed to work.

Similarly it contained no detail for a black bra.

The applause and encouragement from the Plumstead Massive was welcome. The eggs from the Gravesend Fiesta Fanbois were not. 'Teef nearly gave chase.

My chum Scott was a rabbit with a negative euphoria quotient (1) as his chain kept slipping, and was almost ready to call it a day. I encouraged him with tales of bacon butties waiting at Rochester. He made it. His LBS later diagnosed a stiff link.

The snooze while we waited for a puncture to be fixed was most welcome. I was almost falling asleep as I rode and hallucinating. Must get more zeds before the event next time.

Found a windfall pear at Tonge. which was nice.

Hoovered down an FEB at the Waterfront then sped for the staiton with Scott. Met Els on the platform who informed us that Shepherd and Neam was available for sale on the train. So we bought some.

A few pics here

(1) not a happy bunny

Arthur said:
Although I wasn't able to join the ride until Rochester, those were some of the happiest, care-free miles I've ridden in a long time. Marvellous stuff.

Some of my pictures

Darn it Arthur, I managed to avoid registering with CycleChat all this time. I registered because I had to let you now how wonderful I find your composition on YouTube. Now I will develop another forum addiction, darn it.

Nice to meet you during breakfast and again, thanks for sharing 'some of your pictures'.

Els

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
swarm_catcher said:
Darn it Arthur, I managed to avoid registering with CycleChat all this time. I registered because I had to let you now how wonderful I find your composition on YouTube. Now I will develop another forum addiction, darn it.

Nice to meet you during breakfast and again, thanks for sharing 'some of your pictures'.

Els

Thank you, I'm glad that you liked it. The colourful riders, the scenery and the excellent weather all conspired to make taking pictures a very simple task. I only wish I'd taken more.

beatleandrew

Another brilliant ride! I had a great time and it was nice to meet some new people and not get any punctures.

Thanks to Matt, Andy, John and Dave for a nice fast dash from Faversham to Whitstable. The coffee and cake that followed was most welcome.

I think we must have had a good wind behind us as riding home west bound across Richmond Park required quite an effort.

Tynan

Veteran
I saw that black bra and thought I has imagined it almost immediately.

The foxes did a very thorough job of spreading a bag of my rubbish down the street this morning after tearing anything wet or oliy into small pieces, and then dropped two large and runny turds on my drive and the pavement

So i can harden my heart to that dead fox with no trouble at all

tanya g

Thanks Simon et al. Another great ride, nice to see some of the regulars and meet some new faces too. I really enjoyed the chilled pace, nice temperature, the beautiful sky/scenery and listen to some good tunes.

Tim Hall said:
TanyaG bust her spangly new fangled 10 speed chain. We beat it into submission with a chain tool or two and only minor bloodshed.

Sorry about your knee (assume that was you ;) ). Turns out you shouldn’t trust bike shops … I spent the next 30 miles with the chain link half on/off and waiting for it to break again… luckily made it all the way home. It did mean …

MacB said:
foolishly thought I could catch the front half dozen or so. Boy was I wrong, they only had about 80 yards on me but I just couldn't close the gap. Passed a couple in between and picked up a 'drafter' in the form of Tanya.

… that I too couldn’t close the gap at the start as I couldn’t put any power through my chain. Normally I would have been able to bridge the 10 meters or so but the fear of having to stop and fix the chain meant I opted for the sensible choice and watched them edge away. I’m just glad that we were the number 6 & 7 to the café and big steev didn’t overtake us!!!

Thanks for a great night and see you all in November (races occupy end of sept / beginning of October)

Marco

It was my first FNRttC on Friday and I had an absolute ball!

Many thanks to Simon and the rest of the crew for organising and helping out on such a brilliant ride. Look forward to seeing you all again and riding another one soon.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Morning all.

Another marvellous ride, courtesy of Mr Legg, the TECs, the excellent company, the dead fox, the discarded underwear, the 'lively' vehicular support, and absolutely perfect weather.

Broke entirely new territory by taking a train back. Don't see the attraction myself. You don't even get to pedal.

Photos from headcam are working their way towards youtube here. Its not as steady as bikecam, but does afford an excellent opportunity to build neck muscles. Boy, that thing creates a lot of drag.

Personal favourite is this one of first timer Katie. Great to have you along.
3895394155_aea953ffc9_b.jpg

Top Bottom